Playbase and Sub

• 26 July 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 66 replies
Thinking about getting the Sub to add to my Playbase, and my 10 year old son asked me an interesting question: If you add the Sub, does it turn off the woofer in the Playbase?

Guessing no, but can anyone verify?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The Sub certainly reduces the woofer workload when bonded to play units for music, but since movie soundtracks have a dedicated low frequency channel that isn't catered to by the base, I suspect that the Sub is used for this channel and does not change anything in the base; the 3.0 base will become 3.1 with the Sub added. And 5.1 if you add surrounds.

Even in the former case, the woofer isn't turned off, just not fed with such lower frequencies that are handled by the Sub.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
That make sense. Thanks Kumar! Got the Play:1s as surround.
For effects laden movies, the Sub would still make a big difference to your 5.0 set up and experience. Neighbours permitting.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
The Sub makes a *huge* difference, at least for the Beam. (The Sub also reaches lower frequencies).
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I know the woofer in the Playbase won't get as low as the Sub, but I wonder how close it is. Guess I'll have to get a Sub and find out! 🙂