Answered

playbar works but surround play 3 speakers don't

• 29 September 2013
  • 223 replies

my sonos play bar and surround sound play 3's work perfectly when i play music or apple tv but when on tv nothing comes out of surround sound speakers. all my components are connected into the tv and then the playbar has optical out. so it clearly works as music and apple tv work but normal tv channels only play through the bar. please help
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 23 December 2013, 20:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

223 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

If you're experiencing an issue where the TV sound doesn't have the surround speakers active, but playing music works fine there is a patch available which will boost the sound. This is for a specific issue which we can identify if you submit a diagnostic for us. 

Please reply back to this thread with your confirmation number and we can check if you're experiencing this issue and flag you for the update if it's applicable.

Cheers.

Hello, User462264 and Davidep,

You're both marked to receive this update too. Please check for updates and you can download the new software.

Cheers
Hello,

If you're experiencing an issue where the TV sound doesn't have the surround speakers active, but playing music works fine there is a patch available which will boost the sound. This is for a specific issue which we can identify if you submit a diagnostic for us. 

Please reply back to this thread with your confirmation number and we can check if you're experiencing this issue and flag you for the update if it's applicable.

Cheers.

Im having the same issue but with play 1s. 3328521
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

Cheers.

Hi Gary,

Go ahead and check for updates.

Cheers.
Hello,

Cheers.

Ive updated and it seems to be better. I ll monitor it for a while
Thanks for the swift response excellent service.
My diagnostic#: 3331536 I have the same problem as the rest.... Works fine with just music, but TV sound drops in and out on the Play3 surround. Playbar seems to work fine.
Kent the patch I was sent fixed the problem and has been fine now for 24hrs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My diagnostic#: 3331536 I have the same problem as the rest.... Works fine with just music, but TV sound drops in and out on the Play3 surround. Playbar seems to work fine.
Hi Kent,

You now have an update available, can you go ahead and run that update and let me know if you have trouble?

Cheers.
I have the same problem ... Submitted diagnostics 3335447 ... Is there a patch for this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have the same problem ... Submitted diagnostics 3335447 ... Is there a patch for this?
Hello Murray,

Just flagged you for that update. Please check for software updates and let us know if you have any further issues by giving us a call or emailing us here.

Cheers.
Downloaded ... no change ... sound is ok from playbar but no sound from play3 surrounds while watching tv ... they work ok for music ... submitted new diagnostics: 3335473
I'm also having the same issues with my Play1s ... Playbar works fine but the Play1s dropout when watching TV ... Diagnostic # is 3341096
Hello,

Cheers.

I have a similar problem wit the PLAY-1's in surround setting (added to playbar and sub) :
Initially after installation the surround-sound is very dimmed in the default setting.

When I increase the sound of the surround PLAY-1's to almost the maximum then its volume is acceptable  and it seems a surround sound.
BUT it swiftly dims and increases in volume. Especially on low volumes it is very annoying to listen to: This quickly dimming and incrementing of volume results in a terrible sound when I listen to music. The modulating volume ONLY appears when I listen to the television connected (via the optical interface - Samsung UE40F6750, PCM connected. Note: it really seems to be a surround sound though).

What can I do to get on the Sonos-1 surroundboxes
1. better default volume (allowing higher volumes on the surround speakers) and
2. get a normal non-muffled non-modulating sound on the Play-1's ?

Thanks in advance!
P. Posthuma
I have a Cisco Explorer 8742HDC cable box with Time Warner Cable (TWC) ... I tried different audio settings on the box, researched on TWC site and tried connecting it directly to Sonos playbar with the digital optical audio cable and the surround sound on the play3's works fine. My Apple TV and Samsung blue ray work fine with HDMI to the tv and optical audio cable from the tv to the playbar. With the cable box, I do not get 5.1 sound when I connect the cable box to the tv with HDMI and the tv to Sonos with digital optical audio.
Userlevel 2
Just sent diagnostics for the same issue: #3341839
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Murry,

It might just be that the sources don't have enough audio to up-mix, but I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care Line if you're having any trouble with the that update.

Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm also having the same issues with my Play1s ... Playbar works fine but the Play1s dropout when watching TV ... Diagnostic # is 3341096
Hi Vic,

You've been flagged for that update. Please click Manage > Check for Software Updates and you should be all set. If you have any trouble with that update, please give us a call on our Customer Care Line.

Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Just sent diagnostics for the same issue: #3341839
Hi,

You've been flagged for that update. Please click Manage > Check for Software Updates and you should be all set. If you have any trouble with that update, please give us a call on our Customer Care Line.

Cheers.
Hello,

Cheers.

Hello, I got the same problem. My diagnostics number: 3347074 Thanks! Gerard
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

Cheers.

Hi Gerard,

You're flagged for the update. Go ahead and check for it now.

Cheers.
Hello, I got the same problem. My diagnostics number: 3347074 Thanks! Gerard
Hello,

Cheers.

Thanks for the quick support! Problem looks to be solved after update
Hello,

Cheers.

3347256 diagnostis uploaded as I have the same issue. Play 1s very quiet and fluttering during watching TV. No problems while listening to music. Pls. check and provide me with the patch. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

Cheers.

Hello Oliver,

You're flagged for this update as well now. Go ahead and update.

Cheers.
Hello,

Cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply. I updated, but problem still exists. Should I provide you with another diagnostic report after the update? Thanks for your answer!
Hello,

Cheers.

Diagnostic report 3347288. Could you pls. check again my system as after the update (patch) now the sourround speakers are playing at an extreme low level, even if I pop up the volume in the advanced audio settings. Please help!!! Issue is now even worse than before the update!