Playbar wall mount

• 23 February 2013
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

This is exactly what I was looking for as I have a clean wire-free install of my PlayBar but know I'm not supposed to run the IEC-C7 through the wallboard. Thanks

Question: is there any termination of technique you're supposed to use when the wire comes out of the ENT and through the holes in the wall? One hole is directly behind the playbar and the other is behind the TV. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
All,

We will be installing the Playbar for one of our clients and I found this thread while searching for a method to use the mounting plate with a standard outlet cover plate. Well, as you all know, that will just not work.

I found a product that should help everyone with this problem. A company called DesignMod makes flush mount outlets that should fit flat behind the mounting bracket.

I'll post photos of the setup when we are finished in the next few months. In the meantime, here is the link: (edit: since I can not post links in my messages yet, just go to designmod dot com ) or just Google DesignMod.

Edit: After actually unboxing and laying out the Playbar and mounting bracket, even the flush mount electrical plate isn't going to work either. We may just opt to install a floating shelf for the Playbar to sit on and perhaps pass the electrical, optical and ethernet wires through the wall (electrical in conduit for code). Either way, I'll show you photos of our installation after we are finished in a few months.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I know this is an old thread but has anyone come up with a clean solution to wall mounting with hidden wires?
Lots of useful information here, but ultimately, no solution. What specific product(s) have people used to be able to mount their playbar cable-free?

I am currently thinking about installing this recessed power outlet/media passthrough sideways: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VYDHFQ/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It's width (5.5") is the same as the playbar's height. I was also thinking of using the suggestion of another post on this thread of taking the playbar mount and cutting a section out of the middle, straddling the recessed power outlet. Next step is to find out the playbar mount's depth, and see if it is thicker than, or the same as, the flange on this power outlet.

Any other bright idea anyone? 😃
why not just use spacers for the wall mount so that it sits just above the recessed av outlet? i was thinking about using this https://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-Solutions-SBCK-Powerbridge-PowerConnect/dp/B00HIYACAE to conceal the wiring. thoughts on using these? https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Dream-Screwdriver-Assortment-MD5756/dp/B0788M3W6K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532225965&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=tv+mounting+spacers&psc=1
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
waynecram, that first link is interesting but it is going to require you use their other bits to complete the system or possibly start opening the case and cutting wires, not something I'd recommend. The full setup would be great though.

The screw assortment may be overkill, Ace, Home Depot or Lowe's will have a selection of spacers and longer "into the wall" screws which you may want too.
Yeah, the second link was useless. Just there to show spacers, really. I think the whole kit from powerbridge might do the trick to hide everything. Disappointing that sonos Wall Mount is flush and only offers small opening for wires.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd have to agree, no reason Sonos couldn't include a set of spacers and if needed longer screws to get it to work over an embedded outlet box.

The PowerBridge looks interesting but there is one gotcha that is going to make installing it a lot of "fun" in most cases. For sheetrock/drywall construction there are usually short pieces of wall stud placed horizontally at the four foot sheet boundaries, both to help hang the sheets and as a bit of a fire-stop. You will have to drill a hole large enough for the connector to pass through and hold the cable and any other connections between units in that piece of stud. A rental hole-saw with a flex shaft is the usual answer.

Doing your own setup without the custom plugs will let you use smaller, maybe only 1/2 inch, holes that can sometimes be made with just a long drill bit or an extension since you are just passing a single run of Romex AC wire and your cables instead of that bigger plug.