Answered

Playbar surround sound - Play 5 Gen 1

• 18 January 2018
  • 10 replies

Badge
Hello,

For what I’ve read due to he P5 Gen 1 having 2.5Ghz wireless they are unable to support surround sound with a Playbar for the TV/Movies.

Can you advise if it’s possible to connect the P5 Gen 1 via Ethernet to a 5Ghz WiFi router (making the speakers/signal now 5Ghz) and will the Playbar then connect and supports surround sound via a TV? Or if any alternative method will without needing to by the P5 Gen 2?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel
icon

Best answer by John B 18 January 2018, 13:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Daniel

All Sonos components use the 2.5Ghz frequency, regardless of Gen. Two Gen 1 Play:5's will work fine with a Playbase for Surround sound, albeit an expensive option.

If you have the Play:5's connected via Ethernet cable, the best option is to remove the Wi-Fi credentials in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced Settings and let the players connect via SonosNet.
Hi Daniel

All Sonos components use the 2.5Ghz frequency, regardless of Gen. Two Gen 1 Play:5's will work fine with a Playbase for Surround sound, albeit an expensive option.

If you have the Play:5's connected via Ethernet cable, the best option is to remove the Wi-Fi credentials in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced Settings and let the players connect via SonosNet.
Sorry but that is completely wrong. Gen 2 is fine for surrounds and is equipped with a 5GHz radio for that purpose. Gen 1 is not
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
John is correct - the only Play speakers that can be used for surrounds are the Play:5 (gen2); Play:1, Play:3 and Sonos One.
To add a bit more clarification, at no point does the router's 5GHz band get used. The router doesn't even need to have a 5GHz band. The 5GHz communications are purely within the Sonos surround setup, between the Sonos components. No amount of cabling will make the gen 1 P:5s usable as surrounds, I'm afraid.
Badge
Oh okay, fair enough. Thank you for the clarification, much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Apologies, I've learnt something there. Sorry townsie!:P

I was going off the specs here but missed the fact that the Gen:1 wasn't compatible for Surround Sound:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/play5.html#specs
We all make mistakes occasionally and I often learn things from your contributions.

Interestingly, Sonos did find a wired way to make the Connect:Amp usable for surrounds, to get round its lack of 5GHz capability. I have never discovered why that was not possible, or too difficult, for the gen 1 Play:5s, but that's how it is.

The 5GHz band is used because of its lower latency. The shorter range and inferior penetration of walls are not an issue because (to state the obvious) the distances between components within the surround setup are short and everything is in the same room.

I presume Sonos has stuck to the 2.4GHz band for other communications because of its superior range and wall penetration, which are crucial for a multiroom system!
We all make mistakes occasionally and I often learn things from your contributions.

Interestingly, Sonos did find a wired way to make the Connect:Amp usable for surrounds, to get round its lack of 5GHz capability. I have never discovered why that was not possible, or too difficult, for the gen 1 Play:5s, but that's how it is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Probably could hard wire play:5 gen1 but no one really ever had a reason to want to do it. Connect:amp adding that ability made sense for customers that have in wall or in ceiling rears.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks John 🙂