Answered

Playbar reset?

• 28 February 2020
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi all!

My playbar suddenly got a bit quieter with playing 5.1 sources (I am talking 15% quieter, but only PB, the surround Play 3s are loud). This happened to me once before, and it went away simply by powering Playbar  on/off. Now this method does not work. Do you have any suggestions? Also, if the Trueplay is activated, does the EQ for Playbar have any effect on sound?

Thank you

Neven

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 28 February 2020, 22:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

That’s a pretty good analysis of 15%. How did come up with that number. Just kidd’n no need to explain :relaxed:

If you are experiencing a random drop in Playbar volume the first thing I’d check is the optical cable. Since internal breaks of an optical cable are hard to determine I’d purchase a new one and try it; or switch cables if you have a spare or one connected to another TV.

I’d also check the TV for for available firmware updates and/or contact the manufacturer regarding any know issues.

The symptom’s you are describing to me appear to be power related to establishing a new handshake between the Playbar and TV.:thinking:

The next time the drop occurs submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes via the Sonos app. Post the reference ID in this thread and call Sonos Tech Support. You can also contact them via twitter or Facebook. In any event you may get lucky and a Sonos Support person may come across your thread with the Reference ID and reach out to you.

Cheers!

The issue is there isn’t any ‘handshake’ on an optical connection, it is only one way transmission. But I do like the potential of a small ‘break’ in the optical cable.

I’d also be tempted to think about an issue with the power supply on the PLAYBAR as a potential. There’s no guaranty that it would show up on a diagnostic, but I’ll admit I really don’t know what details are in one. So, at the very least, I’d suggest running one, and then I would contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi

That’s a pretty good analysis of 15%. How did come up with that number. Just kidd’n no need to explain :relaxed:

Hehe, I tend too be picky about things. So, most people wouldn’t notice that But I see it this way. Yesterday The Man of Steel on two notches on a volume scale in Sonos App was enough, today I have to “crank it up”. :slight_smile:

If you are experiencing a random drop in Playbar volume the first thing I’d check is the optical cable. Since internal breaks of an optical cable are hard to determine I’d purchase a new one and try it; or switch cables if you have a spare or one connected to another TV.

Interesting, the volume that lowers most is the voice, so it must be the Playbar.

I’d also check the TV for for available firmware updates and/or contact the manufacturer regarding any know issues.

The symptom’s you are describing to me appear to be power related to establishing a new handshake between the Playbar and TV.:thinking:

I will try to change the setttings on my TV and put them back again how they were..

The next time the drop occurs submit a diagnostic within 10 minutes via the Sonos app. Post the reference ID in this thread and call Sonos Tech Support. You can also contact them via twitter or Facebook. In any event you may get lucky and a Sonos Support person may come across your thread with the Reference ID and reach out to you.

I will try that that If the problem persist.

Cheers!

Cheers

Neven 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The issue is there isn’t any ‘handshake’ on an optical connection, it is only one way transmission. But I do like the potential of a small ‘break’ in the optical cable.

I’d also be tempted to think about an issue with the power supply on the PLAYBAR as a potential. There’s no guaranty that it would show up on a diagnostic, but I’ll admit I really don’t know what details are in one. So, at the very least, I’d suggest running one, and then I would contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Yes, Twitter is a nice way to communicate that sort of things.

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Update. Tried changing TV settings. Disconnecting optical cable and HDMI cable. The Playbar (especially the vocals in movies is still quieter. Single notch (volume step) on Sonos app is inaudible (5.1 source). Before the single volume step can be heard. I suspect in trueplay tuning. I will remove the surrounds and if that does not work, I will remove the system alltogether and try to add it from scratch.

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Update…

Factory reseted my Playbar, and added every speaker from the start. Audio the same, only problem 5.1. sources, weak vocal levels. I do think the handshake problem is there but can not solve it, for now.

Any other ideas?

Neven

Actually, going back and reviewing the thread, I’d  have to ask if you’re certain that the PLAYBAR is receiving a 5.1 signal from the TV properly. While watching a movie, go into the controller app, select Settings>System>About My System, and tell us what the line under the PLAYBAR area that starts with “Audio in” says. A muffled or poor center channel has sometimes been used to describe the sound when the Sonos is receiving a stereo, rather than a Dolby Digital signal. I’m wondering if one of your devices did a background update that changed the settings without your knowledge, which happened to me once. If it does indeed say Stereo, then we can start looking upstream at various devices/settings. If not, I’m going to suggest the old ‘submit a diagnostic, and call Sonos’ thing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Audio in says 5.1!

To explain further.

Sony Tv settings - speakers - audio out - fixed - auto

raspberry pi with Kodi - audio settings:

This settings worked flawlessly (centre channel from Playbar was loud and clear)

As far as I know

Dolby Digital (AC) capable reciever must be on because Playbar can recieve (only) Dolby Digital

Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding - i’ve set this to ON so the raspberry transcodes DTS and other formats thet Playbar can not recieve…

Neven

I’m no expert on Kodi, but I’m mildly concerned about that line that says Number of Channels: 2.0.

I agree with your settings in the Audio pass through area. So, it comes down to what the source may be. If it’s internal to the Kodi, it seems like it is sending a stereo signal on a Dolby Digital carrier. So, while the Sonos is indeed receiving the 5.1 signal, only two of the channels are actually in use. 

Perhaps someone with more familiarity with the Kodi system will chime in and tell me I’m wrong. This is not a standard configuration. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Based on a fact it worked, I do think the Number of Channels is correct. I have made a simple mistake in describing the setup earlier.

So, Raspberry Pi sends audio (stereo, DD, DTS),  through HDMI to Sony TV. That’s why I don’t think it matters what number of channels I set. But, I will try it. (not now, my son watches a cartoon). Then Sony TV sends the Sound to Playbar in auto form not PCM). O jesus, I just wat it to work properly :-)

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Update… 

Set Sony TV digital audio out to PCM. Playbar shows stereo no matter the settings in Kodi. I've tried various number of channels, allow passtrough on/off, dolby digital  (ac3) capable reciever on/off, enable dolby digital ac3 transcoding on/off. 

When I set Sony TV digital audio to Auto Playbar, allow passtrough and enable dolby digital (ac3) capable reciever, Playbar shows Dolby Digital 5.1. only for movies that are in dolby digital. 

For movies with DTS-MA for example I have to enable dolby digital (ac3) transcoding. 

So, my volume issue remains, but the settings are correct. I am glad if  someone finds this usefull.

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Success!!!!!!!!

Changed Out on Sony TV from fixed to variable and voila. The mighty, mighty sound is back. then I put fixed again and the sound hasn’t change. Perfect. So, It was just a matter of simple switching to what manuals say wrong setting. Strange, but it works!

Thank you all.

Neven

Huh. Glad that you figured it out, but that certainly sounds like a bug in the Sony software. The only difference there should be between fixed and variable should be the volume component, and nothing to do with difference in channels carried. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Huh. Glad that you figured it out, but that certainly sounds like a bug in the Sony software. The only difference there should be between fixed and variable should be the volume component, and nothing to do with difference in channels carried. 

Meh, the problem occured again. Granted i added my play 3s as surrounds. Now i removed them but the sound again lost it's power. Tried fixed and variable audio out. No change

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Guys,

i am happy to inform you I am satisfied again. After hours and hours of testing I came to a conclusion. Only video sources with much lower volume are the ones with AC3 sound. So, I replaced them with the DTS or similar type audio track and the sound is again sweet.

Thank you for your replies

Neven

Guys,

i am happy to inform you I am satisfied again. After hours and hours of testing I came to a conclusion. Only video sources with much lower volume are the ones with AC3 sound. So, I replaced them with the DTS or similar type audio track and the sound is again sweet.

Thank you for your replies

Neven

Glad to hear you resolved the matter, it’s likely not using DTS though, as Sonos does not support that codec, but most probably you have opted to use Dolby Digital 5.1, which I too find is ofter louder than general PCM stereo audio.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

My Sony TV can output Dolby Digital to Playbar. .So, Kodi trancodes everything different (DTS...) to Dolby Digital 5.1., and applies the volume amplification. If the source material is AC3 it doesn’t amplify it, so the resulting sound is quiter (but still 5.1., not stereo) 

Neven