Playbar refresh in 2018?

• 23 January 2018
  • 70 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Is Sonos planning a Playbar refresh in 2018? It'd be great to have a Playbar with updated look matching other Sonos speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

70 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
... I'm sure there are many non-tech people who can plug in an optical connection, but can't figure out which HDMI port on their TV is ARC enabled.Really?? :?

People can work out how to use smartphones, setting up the current PlayBar but cannot work out which HDMI port to use, not even by trial and error?

I am such a non-tech person and for me plugging in a optical connection is far harder as even when I am sure I have it the right way up I always worry about snapping the cable or connector.
... I'm sure there are many non-tech people who can plug in an optical connection, but can't figure out which HDMI port on their TV is ARC enabled.Really?? :?

People can work out how to use smartphones, setting up the current PlayBar but cannot work out which HDMI port to use, not even by trial and error?

I am such a non-tech person and for me plugging in a optical connection is far harder as even when I am sure I have it the right way up I always worry about snapping the cable or connector.

I would say that most people don't really know what ARC is, but from what I've seen it's usually clearly labeled. It should be easy enough to instruct a consumer how to set it up. However, I would bet there are still a lot of tvs out there without ARC, or an hdmi out, so perhaps the optical connection is the way to go. But honestly, I really don't know hdmi connections all that well, nor have I looked into the it's evolution all that much.
Indeed, I can think of many people in the presumed Sonos userbase, perhaps typified by "older folks" who just don't know how technology works, and wants it to "just plug in and work". Sonos (appropriately in my mind) tends to cater to this large group of people and I can imagine that they want to continue to do so. The larger the market is that they're tapping in to, the better for them. Remember, the only way that they make money is selling hardware. They make zero income on those of us who use their equipment once we've purchased our speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
You would think for a company that only makes money from hardware sales they would be bring out new revisions more often - like a new playbar every couple of years - I know I would upgrade and buy a new one each time, just like I do with my phone
I would suggest that the cost of development is rather large for something like that. I'm sure Sonos' sales department would love that, though.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
It looks like Sonos is getting ready for an IPO, perhaps the extra cash will allow for extra research and development
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
They make zero income on those of us who use their equipment once we've purchased our speakers.

Really? You may want to have another look at that user policy.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
HDMI = no brainer
Lossless Audio
HDMI CEC for better control.

where do I sign?
They make zero income on those of us who use their equipment once we've purchased our speakers.

Really? You may want to have another look at that user policy.

Do you mean this:

We respect privacy and your rights to control your personal data. Our principle guidelines are simple. We will be clear about the data we collect and why. Your data is sacredly protected by us. We do not and will not sell your data to third parties. [...]
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
That would make a lot of sense. I'm sure there are many non-tech people who can plug in an optical connection, but can't figure out which HDMI port on their TV is ARC enabled.

Usually it is clearly written on it, for example on Samsung TVs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I've got a Sony, Samsung and LG tv are home - all 3 support ARC and it's clearly labelled on all 3 TV's
You would think for a company that only makes money from hardware sales they would be bring out new revisions more often - like a new playbar every couple of years - I know I would upgrade and buy a new one each time, just like I do with my phone

That only makes sense for products where either the tech is developing extremely fast (like phones) and/or there is more hype/image associated with product (phones, autos, etc). Sonos doesn't exactly fit those categories. Plus, they try to use product longevity as a selling point, which is hard to do if you're coming out with new products every year. In the end, it comes down to the probability that a new model isn't going to cause an increase in sales to justify the development costs.

And yes, there are those that are going to shell out $700 every 2 years to get the latest and greatest, but then there are those like mean that may feel like I'm buying a product that's going to be obsolete the second I take it off the shelf, so I'll just pass.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
New home theater Sonos product will be presented June 6!
Just reading through this post, I think the label shot may be getting misinterpreted, just my guess anyways. Take a look on the FCCs site for the label placement of the original Playbar. The mockup looks very similar and the square outline has nothing to do with the actual product. It's just a frame. The rectangle within the square is the Playbar. This one is slightly different in that it doesn't have a square within the rectangle depicting the label itself, but if the original mockup is any indication, this one looks to be a similar mockup to the Playbar. Honestly who knows and I look forward to June 6, but it is pretty interesting to compare: https://fccid.io/SBVRM006/Label/Label-1736376 vs https://fccid.io/SBVRM014/Label/Sonos-S14-Label-Location-and-Graphics-3785043
Badge
I just hope this isn't a revamped PlayBase...no offense to anyone who loves theirs, but the PlayBase has always seemed a misstep to me. For clarification, the basic design has been done before and has never caught on. It's designed to go under the TV. Most people who are buying Sonos spend a good chunk of change on their TV setups, so if it is a large TV they aren't going to be able to put a PlayBase under it, and if it is a small TV they would just mount it to the wall again defeating the purpose of the PlayBase.
Atari, I don't disagree with your assessment of the playbase. However, I have no doubt that Sonos did it's research before creating the product, and there seems to be a significant number of folks on here who have bought and like the product. So I have to conclude I just think differently then others.

Regardless, since the playbase is much newer that the playbar and apparently can handle new features that the playbar can't, it would be very surprising if this is specifically a playbase replacement. It may be a single 'center channel' speaker with AV capabilities that isn't designed to sit on the wall though. Yeah on the former, boo on the latter.
Badge
Not to be cynical but having lived in the corporate world for many years, you would be surprised how little thought goes into things sometimes. Occasionally it comes down to one person's vision, or bad data, and even though many may not agree with it, they are afraid to speak up, so the bad design goes into production.

With regard to the center channel, I don't see this as very likely. Center channels ideally require speakers to the sides if not to the rear as well. They make the process more complex whereas Sonos is all about simplifying. If the speaker can't adequately perform on its own, there is little chance of its existence. The sole exception being the subwoofer.

I think Sonos knows the PlayBar is outdated in appearance, if not in hardware as well. HDMI has to be added. The moment it is, sales will go up by at least 30%. I imagine we will see something that has upgraded internals to compete with things like the Heos Bar. Sonos quietly does this on all their models. Also, look for the appearance to be similar in design and color options as the One and Play:5. Both have Sonos' most recent design aesthetic. They will want to put the speakers in photos together so they should look like they compliment each other.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a redesign of the Play:3 on the same day as it shares a similar design to the current PlayBar, and if not redesigned would leave it as an oddity in an otherwise homogeneous lineup.

My personal wish list, Bluetooth, but I think that is to remain a dream for a while.

With regard to the center channel, I don't see this as very likely. Center channels ideally require speakers to the sides if not to the rear as well. They make the process more complex whereas Sonos is all about simplifying. If the speaker can't adequately perform on its own, there is little chance of its existence. The sole exception being the subwoofer.

I hear you, but I also think there's a significant market out there that stays away from soundbars in general because they feel it lacks the proper separate of left and right channels. Clearly, a new playbar doesn't hit that market. A device that allows for setup of sonos speakers as left and right channels, and has the center channel built in, would meet that market. I agree that the device couldn't stand on it's on for many, but for many will smaller spaces it may be good enough for them. As well, it enables the sale of additional sonos products for a lot of users. A lot of people here have stated that if it something enables left and right speakers (with center channel or otherwise), they will likey buy it AND two additional speakers. And that's not even considering customers who don't use Sonos for home theatre at all right now.

But it's all speculation. Maybe Sonos knows what the right answer, or maybe they're just guessing, as you suggest.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I think the playbase and playbar both have a place in the market. Yes people who but Sonos might tend to spend more on TVs and not need something to gonunder a TV, but by the same token, there is also a hap for a ‘higher’ end Sonos option than either current sureound hub offer, as well as those who might have a playbar under a larger TV amd a Playbase under a smaller TV in another room. I think it is hood to have an option. The hap i see is in a modulr approach whereby the surround control and the speakers are seperated, giving more flexibility in speaker choice. If that comes I’ll be snapping it up as soon as it is out and moving the Playbar onto a different room. Being able to use play 5s as L/R/C would be fantastic, especially if there was some sort of dynamic ‘grouping’ when playing music. I find the playbar a bit ‘thin’ sounding for music TBH. They also need to bar able to boost the C channel for dialogue independently. Roll on 6/6.
Hi,
I agree with most of you. A update of the Play bar will be welcome. Improvements like :
- Updated design
- Alexa support
- HDMI ARC
- Dolby Atmos ?
- 7.1 ?
Regards