Answered

Playbar optical input?.

• 5 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Hello all, I have a Playbar on its way and have been reading up on here for a couple of days.

I have a Samsung LED TV with optical out, Xbox One, Tivo (Virgin Media), Minix Neo U1 and Samsung Blu-ray.

Eventually I'll have the Sub and maybe 2 Play 1's for rear surround but for now it's just the Playbar.

What's the best signal for the Playbar only, does Dolby 5.1 make any difference over just stereo from the TV?.

I don't mind taking the time to get 5.1 through the optical TV output if it makes a difference if it's worth the trouble.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 5 September 2017, 20:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Keith, generally speaking, Dolby Digital 5.1 is going to sound better than Stereo. The extra channels and audio data allows for a more clear sound. Sometimes it may not be noticeable, but that depends on what you're watching in general. With Blu-Rays, I'd recommend taking the time to make sure you get the DD5.1 signal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Thanks for the quick reply!, I did think 5.1 would be better. I have ordered a recommended Blu-ray player that will output DD5.1 so just need to wrestle with the TV and get it to pass though 5.1 now.

Cheers, Keith.
Badge
Do you have any update on getting dolby rather than stereo to the playbar with an optical cable connected to Minix Neo U1? My TV has a digital optical connection but doesn't support dolby. Is it necessary to use Kodi on the Minix?