Question

Playbar not going 'idle' after turning off TV.

• 11 January 2018
  • 7 replies

I've had my Sonos playbar setup for a few years now and haven't made any changes to it. (Samsung TV with Directv). I've noticed in the past couple of months, that the playbar does not completely go 'idle' after a few minutes after the TV is turned off. Even after waiting 10+ minutes after turning off the TV, if I put my ear up to the playbar, I can hear a slight hissing sound as if the playbar is waiting for an input. If I go to the Sonos app and try to play music, the app will ask if I want to discontinue TV playback - again, indicating that the playbar is not idle. The only way to get the playbar to go idle now after turning off the TV, is to change the input to a music input, and then pause or stop it. The playbar will then go idle after a few minutes and the hissing sound will go away. Is anyone else noticing this issue after one of the last recent updates? Again, I've never had this issue with the same setup until recently. The Sonos, TV, and Directv receiver are all running the latest updates. Thank you in advance for any thoughts or insights you can provide.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I'm experiencing a similar issue. I have a playbar (purchased today) and I too have noticed a veeeeery quiet hiss when no sources are playing. It is not audible when watching TV or streaming music from my NAS, but if I am sat in the room with none of my tech turned on I can definitely hear it.

Have tried taking the optical cable out, but the hiss still persists. If i unplug it from the power socket, and plug it back in, the hiss goes away but returns as soon as a source has been played then stopped. It's driving me insane already! None of my other speakers hiss when not in use, what's the deal?! ??
The "deal" is that I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call in to Sonos to discuss it. The diagnostic might provide them some information to help them diagnose the issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Sounds like a fair deal to me
Best of luck! With the post holiday volume, there may be a slight wait, but once you're talking to them, you should be taken care of.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
What actually happens once you submit diagnostics? I mean, like, what's the etiquette? Do they contact me once they are looking at it, or do I call them and say "hey, just submitted a diagnostic for you to look at"? New to this process, is all…
Heh. Valid question. Submit the diagnostic, and write down the number that you get at the end. Then call in, and tell them the number, and they'll pull it up.

The weird thing about the diagnostic system as currently implemented is that there's no "text field" associated with it, so there's no way of a tech who opens it to know what the issue is that they're looking for in the data. So if you don't call in and tell them the number, they're likely to ignore the whole thing. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, this issue should be resolved now with the 8.3 software update. If you haven't yet, go ahead and check for updates on your system.