Answered

Playbar no longer works with DTS encoded discs

• 23 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies

All of a sudden my old Playbar has stopped working with DTS encoded Blu-rays. It works fine with Dolby encoded discs and standard TV/streaming outputs but for DTS discs all I get is silence. It has worked perfectly well for years and I haven't changed any settings because I'm on the S1 app. As a test I disconnected the Playbar and everything works fine through the internal TV speakers. I'd be grateful for any suggestions that might help resolve this.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 23 October 2022, 18:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the TV, Playbar, and Blu-ray player from power for a couple of minutes.

What model Blu-ray player do you have?

Badge

Thank you for the suggestion but no luck there. It's a 4k Panasonic UB820. I was reluctant to dive in and mess around with the settings because, up until last night, everything worked perfectly. The TV is a Sony A8. I've tried changing the BR to TV HDMI cable but the problem is still there and, because Dolby works fine, I think that rules out the optical cable. The fact that DTS discs play ok through the TV speakers made me suspect it was the Playbar at fault but I could well be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I suspect that there was a firmware update to your TV that altered the settings. There was no update to the Sonos last night. 

Userlevel 7

Thank you for the suggestion but no luck there. It's a 4k Panasonic UB820. I was reluctant to dive in and mess around with the settings because, up until last night, everything worked perfectly. The TV is a Sony A8. I've tried changing the BR to TV HDMI cable but the problem is still there and, because Dolby works fine, I think that rules out the optical cable. The fact that DTS discs play ok through the TV speakers made me suspect it was the Playbar at fault but I could well be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

In the player’s audio settings under Digital Audio Output, set DTS/DTS-HD to PCM.

Badge

That's worked. Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Do you have any idea why it should have stopped working?

Userlevel 7

That's worked. Thank you so much for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Do you have any idea why it should have stopped working?

Not sure. There may have been a firmware update or something that caused the settings to be reset to the default. Glad it is working for you now.