Playbar + LG OLED B8 - no sound

• 7 October 2018
  • 2 replies

I just purchased an LG OLED B8 (OLED55B8PUA) and a Sonos Playbar. I’ve had a Sonos Play:1 for over a year and was excited to add an additional Sonos item.

I’d done extensive research about TV and Soundbar selection and went with the Playbar over the beam because of the superior audio quality in a large room.

After installing everything - including mounting the Playbar to a brick wall - I discover during setup that I won’t be able to use my LG remote to control the volume... that every volume adjustment will have to be made through the Sonos app. Annoying. Even more annoying to dig through support articles and discover that I could use my LG remote with the Beam. Suggestion - update the comparison matrix to indicate what specific TVs are compatible. If a product isn’t keeping up with the newest TVs - please note that a different product may be more suitable.

I could probably have gotten over this if there was any volume to control. All connections are properly connected. Red light is being transmitted through the optical cable. Output is set to Optical (PCM). TV speakers off. No sound from the tv. I can play music from the Sonos app, but can’t get sound from the tv.

Sounds like I’ll probably have to spend the afternoon removing the Playbar. Repairing and painting the wall. Driving to BestBuy to get the Beam, and hoping it’ll work when I get it home... or maybe just go with an LG Soundbar cause I know it’ll be compatible??

I expected far more from you Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, rdashley81. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. Did you already switch the Playbar for a Beam? Is everything up and running properly? If you are still having trouble, might I suggest giving our support technicians a call? They are able to give you real-time support and get this sorted.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I just bought the LGOLEDC8, as well. Fortunately, I listened to the Playbar before doing any mounting. Here's my situation. The LG TV's sound is horrible. The sound is so muffled I couldn't live with it. A Playbar was added via optical. So far, so good. There is a slight lip sync issue but have not figured out what source is the worst. Regular cable and Amazon Prime seems okay.

My only two issues: I can control the volume with the Xfinity remote. I can't with the LG remote. Supposedly, it can be fixed. There is a thread how to do it.

1. I would like to be able to change the volume and have some sort of bar show up on the TV instead of the mute sign show up. Is this possible?

2. Also, why cant I adjust base and treble of the Playbar in the app?

This Playbar is a huge improvement over the TV speakers. Much clearer. I was going to buy the Sony HT-?9? that was about 900 dollars, but found this open box.