Playbar ethernet connection - can I use a switch?

• 27 June 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi all:

I have a large house and my TV is set up in the farthest room from the wifi router so the signal there is spotty. I have the TV connected directly to my cable modem via an ethernet cable. We use SONOS Play 1's in the rest of the house, and I would like to add a Playbar and two Play 1's for surround sound for the TV.

My question is, can I use an ethernet switch to connect the Playbar using the existing ethernet cable connected to the TV, or do I need to run a separate ethernet cable to the cable modem just for the Playbar?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

T

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

To clarify: ------> ethernet cable ---> TV
/
Modem ---> ethernet cable ---> switch
\ -------> ethernet cable ---> Playbar
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
An unmanaged switch should be fine. Sonos reps have said that managed switches can cause problems, but few homes go that far in their network hardware.

(Though I don't quite understand the "clarify" diagram at all)
thanks Controlav, the diagram looked fine in the "reply" box but naturally reformatted for display. Supposed to show the cable line I'm imagining.

I'll get an unmanaged switch and give it a go.

Basically I'm trying to avoid stringing another 100' ethernet cable through the crawl space.

Cheers...T
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I have a Netgear GS105NA unmanaged switch and it works fine. I also have a managed Netgear GS105Ev2 but I don't have any Sonos players hooked up to it so cannot say if it works or not. My PC is wired to it and the controller apps work fine FWIW. My older, crappier unmanaged switch (whose model # I cannot remember) did give me problems.