Question

Playbar Drops Sound - Intermittently from NVIDIA Shield

• 15 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi, have a problem the following setup: NVIDIA Shield Pro 2019 connected via HDMI to LG OLED B8 - optical to Playbar. Two surround Play:1 and a sub.

Annoyingly, the Playbar suffers intermittent and momentary audio drops when streaming from Plex or Netflix.This can happen twice an hour, or once ever five mins or so. There does not appear to be a rule. This only happens when using the Shield Pro (2019). Via the onboard apps, or 4K Firestick, no problem. I have tried different HDMI cables from the Shield to the TV, but don’t think that is a factor, as I have also tried a Beam instead of the Playbar, and no problem. So the issue seems to be with the Shield and Playbar which is connected via Optical cable (which is fine when using TV apps/Firestick etc.).

I want to use the Shield for most of my streaming as the picture quality is superb. Any help is appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @loobar23.

Thanks for reaching out and for bringing this up to our attention.

I appreciate your detailed post here outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

I suggest checking this article that provides common fixes for TV audio interruptions while using Sonos home theater speakers.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Badge +2

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have already been through those suggestions. Also with a Beam there is no issue, admittedly that is using ARC rather than optical.

Have submitted 1411925056 diagnostic report.

Badge +2

And also 100729948 as the sound just clipped twice in five secs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @loobar23.

Thanks for your response and effort in submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking on the diagnostic reports, the Playbar is consistently getting the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio codec or signal from its source.

You can adjust most TV settings to output a different audio format. We recommend testing Stereo/PCM to see if the issue improves.

If audio interruptions only occur when set to Dolby Digital, the TV may not be passing an audio signal correctly.

We suggest reaching out to the TV manufacturer for further help.

You may also check the following threads that I find relevant to your concern:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-playbar-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-2019-dolby-digital-5-1-from-plex-netflix-prime-video-kodi-apps-6831998#:~:text=The%20new%20Shield%20TV%20Pro,just%20AC3%20(Dolby%20Digital).

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/5-1-not-bring-recived-into-playbar-6834942

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.