Answered

"Play everywhere" with Arc and TV output

• 21 December 2020
  • 4 replies

The Sonos app for iPhone etc. has this really great feature where I can play my music (from within the Sonos app) everywhere, ie. on all speakers.

Does that functionality exist for the Arc? I recently got one and it works great with my TV and is great for watching movies etc., but if I want to watch some live concerts I don’t really care about true 5.1 surround sound, I’d rather have it play on all my speakers. Is that possible?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 December 2020, 23:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes. Sort of. 

You can always ‘group’ rooms together in the Sonos controller, with the slight caveat when using the TV input on the Arc. For that input, there will be a slight delay between the Arc’s room and any room grouped with it. If the speakers aren’t in the same room, it’s generally not an issue. I used to have kitchen speakers that I would group so I could listen to football games while in the other room. As long as I didn’t stand in the doorway where I could hear both ‘rooms’ at the same time, it worked spectacularly. When you’re just streaming music, all speakers play in sync, it’s only there when you’re playing the TV input.

Hi. 'Play everywhere' means 'play in all rooms'. The Arc, with or without surrounds and Sub, is just one room, so I am not completely sure what you are requesting.  Option of full stereo on surrounds with TV sources perhaps?

Thanks for the fest replies! Really appreciate your fast help!

@Airgetlam Thank you so much, I’ll try that (keeping that caveat in mind - I have all speakers in one room).

@John B I don’t want the audio from my TV to be constrained to the Arc. I want to play the audio of y TV everywhere.

In that case I think Bruce has answered your question.  As far as the slight delay is concerned, you may be able to use the Arc’s ‘TV Dialog Sync’ setting to eliminate the slight echo effect.  This will create a slight sync issue between picture and audio, but for your use case that might not matter.