Answered

Play 5 Gen2 L+R+Sub(Gen3) - line-in via TV music heard but no voice

• 12 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Before I separated my wifi mesh to stop band steering, I could use my Play 5 Gen2 L+R stereo and Gen3 sub to watch movies from line-in via the tv and listen to music although, the sub would usually appear as a “?”. When I used trueplay, the music would play for about 5 seconds, then the sub would stop working, followed by the right speaker and the sub would disappear from the network.

After 3~4 hours on the phone with Sonos, I arrived at separating the wifi to 2.4 and 5 Ghz and placing the speakers all on 2.4GHz. The speakers now can trueplay, but now the line-in from the tv will only play the music track with no voice track.

Does anyone have any insight into resolving this or should I just factory reset all the speakers and start again?

icon

Best answer by ratty 12 April 2022, 15:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Line-In is just a stereo signal. It will play whatever it receives. There’s no way it could filter out the voice.

However if the 3.5mm jack isn’t inserted fully, such that the contacts aren’t correctly aligned, you could be hearing only part of the input signal. 

Thanks, I realised after moving things around I didn’t plug the cable fully in. derp.

Happens to all of us at some point, don’t sweat it :)