Answered

Play:5 gen:1 how to connect as stereo to tv.

• 3 January 2024
  • 8 replies

I just bought 2 Sonos play:5 gen:1 and I wanna use it as stereo for my tv setup. 

but i don’t know how ….😅

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 3 January 2024, 08:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There’s a line-in for the Play:5, if the tv has a suitable output. But, the way Sonos speakers work, the regular speakers aren’t be signed for tv sound, in that there will be a delay between the image and the sound. Sonos buffers a bit of sound (about 70 msec) when audio starts to play, so that it can achieve its primary goal of providing multi-room synchronised sound. The buffer results in poor lip-sync on tv input. This is minimised when using one of their home theatre products such as Arc or Beam. 

Badge

Hi!  I have this question too.  I just purchased two pre-owned Play 5, 1st gen (so happy with them!) and a Connect.  The speakers are setup and fully functional.

I’m trying to figure out what I “get” with the Connect?  I have a Samsung TV and soundbar.  It looks like I can connect this to the Connect?  This would only be advantageous if I have speakers and soundbar in different locations, correct?  Otherwise, what is the benefit of running it thru Sonos?  I don’t have a turntable, tuner, receiver, etc.

Thank you for your help!

For all of the reasons listed in the post above yours, connecting your Sonos to the TV set isn’t a great idea. If your Samsung soundbar has an analog output, you could connect that to the line in on either of the PLAY:5s, or on the CONNECT. Anything sent from the Samsung soundbar will be delayed, so playing the Samsung and the Sonos at the same time, in sync, will not be possible. 

If it were me, I’d keep them as two separate systems. Use the Sonos for music only, and the Samsung soundbar for your TV watching. 

Badge

Thanks so much for clarifying this.  I was pretty sure I was understanding it correctly, but there really seemed to be no benefits whatsoever.  Appreciate your response.

This may not help you but I’m replying partly for anyone else who might read this… 

I am currently using Play 5s as TV speakers and they work great. However this is only because I watch everything through an Apple TV (4K). This lets me send video to the TV and audio to the Play 5s through airplay.  

The Apple TV takes care of synching the sound and vision, so it works seamlessly. 

(As the other comment says, anyone not using Apple TV will have to use the line in. I have done this in the past and it is ok but is a bit more fiddly.)

Sometimes the SONOS latency can assist lip sync, but only if you would need a 75ms delay to fix your lip sync issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This may not help you but I’m replying partly for anyone else who might read this… 

I am currently using Play 5s as TV speakers and they work great. However this is only because I watch everything through an Apple TV (4K). This lets me send video to the TV and audio to the Play 5s through airplay.  

The Apple TV takes care of synching the sound and vision, so it works seamlessly. 

(As the other comment says, anyone not using Apple TV will have to use the line in. I have done this in the past and it is ok but is a bit more fiddly.)

Presumably you have Gen2 versions, @thusness: the Play:5 Gen1’s specified in the posts above do not support Airplay. Helpful advice for some, though. 

Ah yes, I do have the second gen Play 5s - I missed that OP mention gen 1.