Answered

Philips TV + Sonos ARC + Laptop

• 10 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello I have Philips PUS8503, made in 2018 + Sonos ARC soundbar connected via HDMI arc to the TV.

Also i have Ausus ROG laptop with full desktop edition Nvidia RTX 2060 in it. My question is, how do i properly connect my LAPTOP to TV, so that LAPTOP gives ATMOS sound TO TV and THEN TO SONOS ARC? 

The main problem is that laptop and Sonos ARC has 1HDMI port, so if i conncet arc directly to PC there is no another HDMI port on laptop to conect it to the tv. Only option how i see it working is: Both- sonos arc and laptop plugged in TV ARC ports (HDMI 1 for Sonos and HDMI 2 for laptop), but when i tried to play Mandalorian episode DD+ atmos codec from my laptop, sonos app just showed simple 5.1 format. 

All 3 components of this problem supports ATMOS CODECS ( RTX even supports ATMOS TRUE HD).

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 10 March 2021, 22:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you TV does not have eARC you will only get Atmos in compressed form (DD+) from your PC. Since you have to connect your PC to an HDMI-port on your TV (contrary to your statement this does not have to be an HDMI-ARC-port), your TV should also be capable of relaying the sound from your PC via HDMI-ARC to the Arc. Are you sure your TV can do this?

If you TV does not have eARC you will only get Atmos in compressed form (DD+) from your PC. Since you have to connect your PC to an HDMI-port on your TV (contrary to your statement this does not have to be an HDMI-ARC-port), your TV should also be capable of relaying the sound from your PC via HDMI-ARC to the Arc. Are you sure your TV can do this?

I have no idea if it can relay from pc to ARC something, information about my TVs model is really a little for unknown reasons and sometimes even controverisal. All i know that my Nvidia RTX card supports DD+ atmos, and have HDMI ARC/2.0b on my laptop, my TV has 4 HDMI ARC/2.0b ports and supports DD+ ATMOS (tried it out from TIDAL Tvs app) . I suppose it just wont work as i want and i will need to plug in my pc directly to Sonos ARC soundbar and then plug my pc via Display port USB-C to TV for video. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I did not know there where laptops featuring HDMI-ARC. If yours does, you can connect it directly to the Arc.

I did not know there where laptops featuring HDMI-ARC. If yours does, you can connect it directly to the Arc.

There is, basically all what you nead is newer GPU, like mine, RTX 2060, which comes with 2.0B ARC HDMI, some desktop versions even have 2-3 HDMI ARC slots.

I thought about the same idea but then my only option to get video from pc onto tv is via usb C display port.

I seriously doubt your laptop has an HDMI-ARC port, as that doesn’t really make sense.  ARC stands for Audio Return Channel...mean a display device (TV) is returning audio along this connection in the opposite direction normal HDMU signals flow, so that the connected device can play that audio.

The normal setup is for your source (laptop) to be connected to a normal HDMi port on your TV...so it receives the audio and video.  The TV then sends audio via the ARC channel the the Sonos Arc.  Your TV is essentially passing through the audio.  If you aren’t getting the right audio signal, check the TVs audio setting, although it’s possible your TV just isn’t capable of passing through the DD+ atmos signal.  If that’s the case, you can either get a new TV or get a HDFury Arcana.  The product page for this device does a pretty good job of showing how the connections will work.