Question

Panasonic TX-55GZ950B and Sonos ARC - Does not work via HDMI ARC only with optical adapter.

• 28 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic Oled TV model - 55GZ950B 2019 Model.

Last week i bought the Sonos Arc and I cant get it to work via the Hdmi 2 (Arc) connection on my TV.

When going through the setup on the Sonos App it gets to the point of testing the Viera Link and says Viera Link not connected even though Viera Link is set to ON in the TV settings.

Tried 3 other cables in case mine was faulty but same result.

Eventually i had to use the optical adapter to get sound from my TV to the Sonos Arc but it only comes out in stereo.

Tried the Sonos Arc on a Samsung TV and it set up with no issues - so not faulty cable or soundbar.

Tried another input to Hdmi 2 and picture and sound are fine - so not faulty Hdmi 2 port on TV.

In conclusion I think there maybe an issue with the Sonos App with the Viera Link testing.

Spent over an hour with a Sonos tech on chat to no avail. He ran out of options to try.

Can anyone help ? I bought the Sonos Arc for the Atmos sound but if I cant get it working with my TV I`m going to have to send it back. Not prepared to buy a new TV just to get the soundbar to work correctly.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Have you contacted Panasonic? You’ve proven the issue isn’t with the Arc or the cables, so it must be with the TV. 

Have you contacted Panasonic? You’ve proven the issue isn’t with the Arc or the cables, so it must be with the TV. 

Will be contacting them tomorrow.

But i don't think the port is faulty as I can use it with my PS4 and it works correctly.

I`m thinking there is an issue with the App that's trying to do the Viera Testing.

Contacted Panasonic and they have replaced the main board with a new one and still same issue.

The sonos app wont get pass the testing the Viera Link - says not connected even though it is.

Having to use arc through the optical adaptor at the moment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My 10 years old Sony TV is working well with Sonos Arc using HDMI-ARC. Check with Panasonic community forum if they have the same issue. 

Badge +1

Not sure if this is helpful but I have this tv and arc combo (as of today!) and the Atmos from Netflix comes through via arc with no problems. 

ta 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

But i don't think the port is faulty as I can use it with my PS4 and it works correctly.

The PS4 doesn’t use HDMI-ARC so that doesn’t prove anything. All signs point to a compatibility problem with the TV.

Meanwhile optical should give you DD 5.1, unless Panasonic are blocking it from pass-thru.

Userlevel 7

Hi all,

I have a Panasonic Oled TV model - 55GZ950B 2019 Model.

Last week i bought the Sonos Arc and I cant get it to work via the Hdmi 2 (Arc) connection on my TV.

When going through the setup on the Sonos App it gets to the point of testing the Viera Link and says Viera Link not connected even though Viera Link is set to ON in the TV settings.

Tried 3 other cables in case mine was faulty but same result.

Eventually i had to use the optical adapter to get sound from my TV to the Sonos Arc but it only comes out in stereo.

Tried the Sonos Arc on a Samsung TV and it set up with no issues - so not faulty cable or soundbar.

Tried another input to Hdmi 2 and picture and sound are fine - so not faulty Hdmi 2 port on TV.

In conclusion I think there maybe an issue with the Sonos App with the Viera Link testing.

Spent over an hour with a Sonos tech on chat to no avail. He ran out of options to try.

Can anyone help ? I bought the Sonos Arc for the Atmos sound but if I cant get it working with my TV I`m going to have to send it back. Not prepared to buy a new TV just to get the soundbar to work correctly.

I own a 2013 Panasonic ST60 plasma and HDMI ARC/Viera Link works with my Sonos Arc. It doesn’t pass through DD 5.1 through external devices but it does with internal TV apps or through a USB flash drive.

Userlevel 2
Badge

For what it's worth I have the Panasonic gz950b and Arc and it worked first time no problems. Is it worth trying a factory reset on your TV just in case any sound settings have been muddled?

Love my TV, not so much love for the Arc though. My previous 5 year old £130 Samsung 2.1 sounded as good. Really hoping Sonos sort this soundbar out!