Answered

Optoma UHD51A Projector + Roku Ultra - options to get Dolby Digital 5.1 on Netflix / Bluray

• 16 August 2019
  • 9 replies

I am trying to use Optoma UHD 51A projector (it has optical out) connected to a Roku with 5.1 Sonos setup.
I did some digging and stlll not entirely sure if I understand all options / info is a couple of years old to get 5.1 surround and hence adding a new question.

1. Is there a way to achieve 5.1 with the Roku Ultra player itself? I have set audio and HDMI settings to Dolby Digital (not Dolby Digital Plus) but still getting Stereo when checking the app (more / settings / about sonos). Can I add a HDMI switch to get roku to work? Note that the roku app even when connected with a TV does not provide 5.1 with same settings for some reason although the native samsung tv netflix app does.
2. If I cannot get 5.1 out of Roku, what are my other options? Bluray player recommendations that are known to work with projectors? (The ones I could find in the threads are no longer available)
3. Another point I learnt from here is that the projector may not pass through 5.1 even is the source does. Any solution for that? Like a HDMI switch?
4. If HDMI switch will work in my scenario, and since I have optical out from the projector, anything specific options to look for in such an HDMI switch? Any recommendations that are tested?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 August 2019, 02:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

1) As near as I can tell, there's no way to get the Roku to send a Dolby Digital signal. I've never seen an HDMI switch that does transcoding. I've never seen any device including A/V receivers that do that kind of transcoding, but I'll admit I haven't looked very hard.

2) There's a substantial thread in this area of the forum around bluray players that do transcode, perhaps there will be a solution in that. The last I had heard, however, they stopped making them, so I'd be looking in the second hand market.

3) If the projector won't pass a 5.1 signal out via either HDMI-ARC or an digital optical connection, then your choice would indeed be to pull the signal out before it reaches the projector, so yes, an HDMI switch would be indicated, providing your can send it Dolby Digital signals. So far, it seems as though you're not able to.

4) There's several threads in this very area of the forum that recommend HDMI switches. They seem to range in price from around $30 on up, you should evaluate them based on your particular needs. I don't use one myself, but I'd be looking for something that has multiple inputs, an optical output, and an IR remote, since I happen to use Harmony, and all of my remotes use IR.
Note: was replying to a very similar question in the forum, and looked up the Roku setup page. Here's the information about which Roku device does transcoding:

Note: The Roku Ultra model 4640X* provides an additional option to transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. This allows you to connect your Roku Ultra to an AVR, soundbar, or TV that supports Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus, and still hear the audio in surround sound.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I found that Roku Ultra 2016 version is capable of getting 5.1 with sonos, so I'll look into that. Worst case I am willing to give up on Roku and use a Bluray player as an alternative.

1. HDMI switches seem to be recommended when the projector does not have optical out, so I was wondering if the HDMI switch I will need would be any different. For example would this work for me? https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B01HM1RP6G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481142462&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+switch+with+optical+out

2. I also wonder where / how the HDMI switch will be set up. Does the switch take input from Bluray player and output video to projector and audio to the playbar directly?

3. I am finishing the basement home theater, and I want to be a bit forward thinking with the cables I will need to provision considering future expansion / devices. So far this is what I am envisioning, please let me know if I am missing anything:
  • optical out from projector to the playbar
  • hdmi from projector to the playbar (presuming this is needed in some way if i use a switch but not sure)
  • hdmi from bluray to projector
  • hdmi from roku to projector (even if i dont have 5.1, i have other use cases)
4. Considering that sonos does not recommend projectors use, what are the things to consider / test? I tested it for the audio lag and it seems fine. I am not solving the 5.1 issue. Any other gotchas I need to be aware of?
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) There's no need right now for an HDMI from the projector to the PLAYBAR as the PLAYBAR doesn't have an HDMI port at all. However, this is forward thinking, IMHO, and yes, you should do it. We don't know what the next PLAYBAR will be.

All of your sources would be feeding the HDMI switch, so you'd need an HDMI from each device to the switch, and then an HDMI from the switch location to the projector.

4) I don't think Sonos has an opinion about projector use, either positive or negative. It's just a matter of wiring that makes it a challenge, and also since most projectors don't support pass through (either HDMI-ARC or optical output) currently. Mostly Sonos is designed (IMHO) around lower end (read TV) use, but there's no reason why they can't be used for projectors.
You cleared out a lot of things, appreciate it.

1. One clarification. You indicated that the HDMI switch will take all sources in and output video to projector (assuming via HDMI) and audio to playbar. So the optical connection in my set up needs to be from th e hdmi switch to the playbar, correct? (i had indicated from projector to playbar earlier).

2. I also wanted to add CAT6 ethernet for the playbar as a measure of safety although I get decent wifi there. Is that more than enough or should I also add CAT6 ethernet for the surrounds as well?

And you have clearly answered a big question / concern that has been looming - if I should go sonos and tackle issues that may come up or should I prewire 5.1 as a backup. Sounds like as long as I have the cables laid out I should be able to find the right devices and make this setup work for me.

Sonos chat support has been very clear that their system is designed for tv use and that they dont recomment projector set up. Which has been a point of deliberation for me right from the get go.
1) Yes, sorry to be confusing. I'm time sharing here, there's a ball game on....

2) What purpose will the CAT 6 serve? Are you concerned about wifi interference? There's no reason not to, other than expense, to wire everything you can, it can help avoid some issues. But note that the internet connection that the PLAYBAR needs is only for when streaming music, and will have no effect when playing something from the TV/Projector.

As a subnote to that, Sonos soundbars use a 5Ghz signal to "bond" to devices....or the internet connection. So if you wire them with CAT6, you're fine, otherwise they'll connect on a 5Ghz channel that you can't see...oh, wait, you're not doing surrounds, are you? The problem with answering many questions sequentially is you tend to lose track of what the original question was...and I didn't scroll up to see 🙂 OK, you are shooting for 5.1, at least eventually, despite the Roku issues. So my comments stand. This 5Ghz channel isn't obvious, because you can't see it, and because for connection purposes to your own network, Sonos only uses 2.4Ghz. It's only in cases where speakers are known to be in the same room does Sonos use that 5Ghz channel, since it's easily absorbed by walls, people, furniture, etc. So basically, as you learn the Sonos lingo, a "bonded" speaker will work across this 5Ghz signal channel, a "paired" or "grouped" speaker will operate across a 2.4Ghz signal. Wow, that's a lot of typing for a sub note :)

So here's where we veer into personal opinion. Worth every penny you paid for it.

If I was setting up a dedicated home theater, I wouldn't use Sonos. Having the opportunity to wire and use an A/V receiver that can handle things other than Dolby Digital would push me in that direction. If I was setting up a living room or bedroom (which I have), I would heartily recommend a Sonos installation. But for a dedicated home theater environment, and being able to pre-wire, I'd be seriously looking at an Atmos stylle or greater, if such a thing exists. If I'm spending the money to build it, wireless and its restrictions just don't make sense.

Entirely up to you. As I say, for me, Sonos is the real deal. I've got two 5.1 systems, and love them to death. But if I ever build the house I want, which will, I hope, have a home theater, I'll either be hoping Sonos comes out with hardware that does a bit more, or I'll be looking elsewhere.

I still have 18+ Sonos speakers in my house. They're the damn best devices I've ever seen for music purposes. And I do love my living room and bedroom setups for their respective TVs.
Point taken about recommending hard wired speaker set up.

I wasnt even aware of sonos until a close buddy who I would consider an audiophile (hes a radiologist and also a musician) asked me to take a look at sonos since he has setup 5.0 himself. Here I was going to best buy and specialty stores and looking at quotes from 10k to 35k while sonos would be less than 2.5k even if i go for play5s for rear so thats a real tempting proposition. The other aspect is we dont watch a lot of hollywood movies on bluray, only netflix primarily. Most of what we'll watch would be indian, and streamed, and it will be a while for those to be available in rich audio formats. I am counting on sonos upping their game in the future (and hence all the forward thinking) so this seems like a reasonable investment for me for my utility. The radiologist is a tesla fan, so hes asking me to put the money ill save on a tesla. Now when you put it that way, sonos looks pretty darn attractive doesnt it 😉
Laugh. Yep, it does. And yes, I have a Tesla as well ;)

Just making sure you’re thinking about all the various options. I do love my Sonos, no matter what, but need to be realistic. I don’t consider Sonos to be a heavy hitter in the Home theater market, but what they have suits me perfectly.
Bruce, I am finding myself looking at traditional systems as well after all. I am finishing up the room now so can do all the wiring I need. I need to decide in 3 days 😃 What if I can have a real home theater and a tesla?? :p

For anyone else in a dilemma these reddits are real educational:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/
https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/