Options to get lossy atmos from ARC only Sony TV

• 8 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 38 replies

Hi everyone,

So I just ordered a Sonos surround system (ARC + Sub gen 3, pair of One SLs).

I have a 2017/18 Sony TV that I still love (75” Sony Z9D). Given its age it unsurprisingly only has ARC ( not eARC).  So this question is mainly directed to people who have Sony TVs of this era or even other brands for that matter.

The TV is rated to output Dolby Digital Plus which can in theory mean compressed Atmos. Almost all of Atmos that comes from streaming apps is via this compressed codec anyway. Lossless (or Dolby True HD Atmos) is mostly found on Blu Ray discs (which I don’t bother with). 

I usually use Apple TV as my streaming box (TV’s internal OS is clunky). However, Apple TV uses MAT encoding and PCM where the end result is the TV cannot take that and send it to the Sonos ARC as Atmos. Internal apps should work. 

Has anyone tried using something like an Nvidia shield or even a Google chrome cast Tv and get Atmos to the Sonos ARC via a Tv similar to mine?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 8 October 2022, 08:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can the ATV not be set to output DD+?