Skip to main content
Answered

Option in settings to choose what to do with PCM 2.0 Audio

• 13 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Theres a ton of questions on this and other forums about surround speakers not working well when PCM (Stereo) feed is detected and it seems there is a setting missing from the “Surround Audio” page of the controller.

This is especially the case in my set up, where my speakers are used primarily to fill the space in a large area so that music primarily fills the room, this set up works really well with stereo audio sources and really comes to life when we use surround sound (and apple spatial audio does this well).

However every time we come across a video source where stereo (PCM) audio is present, the ambient rear speakers just are not powerful enough to fill the room.

We have the option for Audio sources in the “Surround Audio” settings that allow for Ambient or Full Music Playback which is great for audio, but we need the exact same option for Stereo PCM (Video Equivalent) - Maybe this could even be solved by a tick box that just says “apply these settings to PCM Audio”

Obviously I realise there will be some video sources with PCM that would be better with Ambient, but giving users the choice to find the best balance in their own set up would be the better of two evils as the alternative is to group the speakers rather than use a surround set up.

Set up… Beam, One, Sone SL.  Samsung Frame TV

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

@ibwan,

This suggestion has been put forward by users here to Sonos Staff on quite a few occasions in the past, but has not been introduced so far. Not entirely sure why, but perhaps there are technical, or financial reasons for not doing so.🤷‍♂️

Anyhow, as a bit of a workaround meanwhile, you could temporarily slide the ‘TV Level’ Slider control over to the far right in the HT Surround Settings to have more of the TV stereo audio output shifted over to the rear surrounds.

I also find that switching off Trueplay and setting the two surrounds to a distance greater than 3m (10 feet) can also help with the rear channel stereo audio.