Answered

Odd setup proposal - wondering if it will work?

• 11 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have Arc + Sub + Rear One Surrounds for home theater paired with an LG CX. I also have a separate 2.0 system dedicated for serious music listening sessions located in the same space.

I was wondering if I can get the Amp and a speaker selector switch (to switch my bookshelves between Sonos Amp and 2.0 system) but also have the Sonos Amp integrated into my theater setup so my bookshelves act as FR and FL channels when watching TV/movies? If the Amp can’t be fully integrated with Arc + Sub + One via Sonos app, what if I got an HDMI splitter to split/mirror the eArc connection from LG CX, and connect it to both the Arc and Amp? If this will work on the Sonos side, it’ll be dependent on finding an HDMI splitter that supports eARC.

I would use the speaker switch to quickly toggle my bookshelves back to my 2.0 system for music listening sessions.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 11 January 2021, 22:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

An Amp, grouped with the Arc, would be slightly delayed for TV audio. You could fiddle with the lip-sync adjuster in the Arc room settings to try and bring the two into some kind of sync, but at the expense of picture lip-sync. Also the sync between Amp and Arc wouldn’t be precise.

I’m not sure you’d find an adapter/splitter to mirror the HDMI-ARC. HDMI-ARC is an input (with audio on the return channel) not an output. If anyone makes such a device the first place to look would be HDFury.

An Amp, grouped with the Arc, would be slightly delayed for TV audio. You could fiddle with the lip-sync adjuster in the Arc room settings to try and bring the two into some kind of sync, but at the expense of picture lip-sync. Also the sync between Amp and Arc wouldn’t be precise.

I’m not sure you’d find an adapter/splitter to mirror the HDMI-ARC. HDMI-ARC is an input (with audio on the return channel) not an output. If anyone makes such a device the first place to look would be HDFury.

Thanks for the suggestions. So I can anticipate some picture lip sync delays if I group the Amp with the Arc setup. Question on this - if the Arc wasn’t in the picture and I configured the Amp to be used as TV Front Speakers, would I also get picture lip-sync delay?

Is the anticipated lip-sync issue because grouping Amp + Arc causes this or because it’s inherent to the Amp?

Yes, HDFury is probably a good vendor to start with that would make a splitter that can support eArc. I did also find something from Wolfpack that should support eArc: https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-1x2-hdmi-splitter-with-downscaler.html

Thanks for the suggestions. So I can anticipate some picture lip sync delays if I group the Amp with the Arc setup. Question on this - if the Arc wasn’t in the picture and I configured the Amp to be used as TV Front Speakers, would I also get picture lip-sync delay?

Is the anticipated lip-sync issue because grouping Amp + Arc causes this or because it’s inherent to the Amp?

It is because of the grouping.  Whatever device you connect to the TV via ARC/eARC (Arc, Amp, or Beam) will not have sync issues, along with the sub and surround it’s bonded to.  Other speakers you group with the HT room will have sync issues.

That splitter, and any other splitter, isn’t going to work for your needs.  A splitter takes one HDMI input and sends it to two HDMI outputs.  Both the Arc and Amp are technically HDMI inputs (ARC signal flows in the opposite directly)….so you need a device with two inputs and outputs...a switch.  Of course, a switch won’t work either as it will switch turning on/off each input one at a time, not both at the same time.

What you would need is a matrix, with two HDMI outputs.  One going to your TV and then onto the Arc.  The other going to a 2nd TV or an Arcana and then your Amp.  This will work, as I actually have a setup with one source 3 TVs, 1 Arc and 2 Amps (TVs are in different rooms in my case) and it works fine.

Yes, HDFury is probably a good vendor to start with that would make a splitter that can support eArc. I did also find something from Wolfpack that should support eArc: https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-1x2-hdmi-splitter-with-downscaler.html

That device isn’t going to work.  You can use one of HD Fury’s matrix devices, but that’s overkill for what you need most likely.