Question

NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019) + Beam = Audio Skipping when Streaming

• 4 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Hardware: LG C9, Sonos Beam, Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)

Problem: Slight audio skipping when using Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) for streaming content (Netflix, HBO Go, Plex etc.) 

I have a 2019 Shield Pro that I run a plex server off of. I have the Shield plugged in through HDMI and the Beam as well through HDMI to my LG C9. 

When using the internal apps, the audio is fine and does not pause or skip. However, when using the Shield to do the same streaming of content, audio skipping is introduced. This did not happen on my old LG Tv with the Shield connected. 

I have the shield set to play only Dolby codecs, as well as plex. I have verified that I am getting Dolby Digital 5.1 when streaming with the Shield in the Sonos app. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Very frustrating to have spent money on something I can’t use for its main purpose.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Rjchisholm29,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue. 

Is your Nvidia Shield Pro set to output Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus?

Have you also made sure that your LG TV is set to only output Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 /PCM rather than other Dolby formats or even “auto”? 

It seems like this is most likely related to how your new LG tv is processing the audio from the media server rather than an issue within Sonos or the Nvidia. 

@Rjchisholm29 , did you manage to resolve your problem?
I do not know if that would be the case, but while I was reading different threats I found a guy who had similar issue - https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/problem-with-beam-and-lg-oledc9-6842093/index2.html. In his case the cable was the problem and after replacing it everything was fine.

I waiting for my Beam + 2xOnes to arrive tomorrow and I am planning to purchase C9 as well. Could you share if the TV is successfully passing through DD 5.1 from the Shield? I also have Shield and I am using Plex to stream movies to the TV. 

Will appreciate if other owners of C9 and Beam share their experience. I read lots of articles and some people have issues with delayed audio where for others it is fine.

Hello, I have the exact same problem with the exact same setup, Shield, LG C9, Beam.

I changed all cables with certified 2.0 HDMI ones and I still have the same issue.

I tried setting shield and Tv to only output Dolby Digital and also tried setting them to auto and none of that helped.

I’m now considering switching to a soundbar that would support more auto formats than just Dolby Digital.