Question

No surround on Beam with two Play1's

• 4 November 2020
  • 1 reply

My surround setup stopped working recently. It’s unclear what the reason is. My ip ranges changed due to a new modem and needed to reconfigure my sonos system. However i don’t think that is the reason…

My setup:

TV audio out: HDMI / ARC: auto (setting it to PCM makes no difference)

DTV audio: auto (setting it to Dolby Digital makes no difference)

My Beam is setup with two play1 speakers but audio input still says Stereo 2.0 when i look at “About my system” in the system settings section in the app.

I tried everything imo…

Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The issue is the Stereo signal being received by the Sonos Beam. Until that says Dolby Digital 5.1, you’re not going to get any information sent to the surround speakers from the TV input.

As a quick test, stream some music from Sonos radio to the Beam. Go into the settings for the room, and click on surround Audio, and then switch Music Playback to Full, instead of Ambient. You should be hearing the music out of the surround speakers, which means that the Sonos is set up properly. If you’re not, let us know.

Now, let’s go back to the TV. Are you testing with a show that is encoded in Dolby Digital? There are some shows that are sent by the broadcasters only in stereo, so make sure you’re testing with a recent movie, etc.

When you use the term DTV, what does that mean? I’d at the least switch whatever it is from auto to Dolby Digital, so there is no chance of it sending something like DTS to your TV. 

Also, check your TV for any software/firmware updates. Apply them, then unplug your TV from the wall for two minutes. You’re forcing the TV to reboot, so it reloads the software that controls the entire ARC connection. 

Knowing make and model of your TV might help those who are attempting to assist you, too, as would confirmation of what version and release of the Sonos system you’re using. 

Finally, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the number here.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.