Skip to main content
Answered

no sound from sony tv when connected to sonos beam

• 20 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi. 
hope someone can help cause this is driving me mad.

I have a Sony Bravia tv, I have a Sonos beam attached to it via arc. Everything was working as it should until last week. I had to take tv off the wall for decorating to be done. 
I’ve reconnected everything today and I’m having some serious issues.

Initally I was unable to get the beam to see the tv despite the tv recognised the arc was attached.

so I reset the tv and beam, the beam then connected until I plugged in something else ie sky with an hdmi cable. Then the sound drops out of the beam despite being connected on the app. 

Ive replaced both hdmi cables from the sky box and the beam, still no sound from the tv when connected to the beam..

I feel like I’m going mad. Particularly when it was working perfectly a few days ago..

please help….

First, I’d check to see whether the tv needs an update. Then power it off completely - unplug the power cord - and then restart it. Then check that the “output” channel is the one connected to the Beam. 

So I’ve updated the tv and the beam. unplugged and restarted and still have the same issues. 
the beam is connected via Hdmi4/Arc.

Have you tried connecting it to any of the other HDMI options? 

Yes I’ve tried Apple TV, fire stick. Xbox. All the same no sounds via beam. 

Try this:

Disconnect everything from the TV including the Beam. Then unplug both the TV and Beam from power for a couple of minutes. Plug the TV and Beam back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Bravia Sync is enabled on your TV. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app. When the app instructs you to, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC port using the HDMI cable that came with the Beam. When the Beam has been successfully connected, connect any other device to the TV.

Hi thanks for that advice, that works until I plug something else in then it reverts back to tv speakers?

it’s as if any other hdmi device over rides the arc and turns it off. 
Bravia sync is on, but doesn’t list the Sonos beam as being there at any point?

Sonos support say it’s not compatible, clearly is as it’s been working fine for over a year…

Hi thanks for that advice, that works until I plug something else in then it reverts back to tv speakers?

it’s as if any other hdmi device over rides the arc and turns it off. 
Bravia sync is on, but doesn’t list the Sonos beam as being there at any point?

Sonos support say it’s not compatible, clearly is as it’s been working fine for over a year…

Does it revert back to the TV speakers when any device is connected to the other HDMI ports or just a specific device? Does it matter which HDMI port is being used?

Hi @Emma Cornford 

Thanks for your post!

To be sure, this issue will be annoying. I think you’re close to a solution, however.

Given that the Beam works with TV audio when there are no other devices connected to the TV, but then stops when something is connected, it seems likely that you have a CEC conflict.

I recommend that you disable CEC (some manufacturers call it something else - best to Google the manufacturer’s name and CEC to find out what) on the third-party device you are connecting to your TV. If there is no option to do so, you can get CEC-less HDMI adaptors fairly cheaply that would sit between the TV and the device. Fire Sticks have been known to cause this issue.

It’s strange that you had no issues before - perhaps it makes a difference which HDMI port the source device is connected to. I recommend experimenting with putting the Fire Stick in different ports. It may help to reboot the TV by unplugging it from power for a minute after each change in wiring.

I hope this helps.

Hi. Thanks for your reply 

I have tried every hdmi port and no change. 
with out cec (Bravia sync) the tv doesn’t recognise the beam!! 
so I’ve had to go with the optical option. 
not how I want it, not how it was working. 
most annoying. 
thanks tho xxx

Hi @Emma Cornford 

I feel I should clarify:

• CEC (Bravia Sync) on the TV must be turned on for the Beam to work over HDMI
  • The Beam must be connected to the TV’s HDMI-ARC/eARC port, which is usually only one of the available ports
  • Please disable CEC on the input devices you are connecting to the TV only. I suspect the Fire Stick (it can be quite aggressive on CEC due to it wanting to be able to respond to a voice command regardless of what the TV is currently doing)
  • Connect one input device at a time and test. I suspect Apple TV and XBox will be fine

As you have a Gen 1 Beam, you won’t lose out on audio quality, or much else, by utilising the optical connection - just voice command features (TV on/off). I’m glad to hear you are still able to enjoy your Beam.