Answered

No sound from One SL

• 26 February 2020
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the playbar and 2 Sonos one SL connected. However, there is no sound coming from the rear speakers. The playbar sounds great, I can only mute and control the sound from the SL speakers. How do I get them to all play? This is driving me crazy I’m about to return this whole system. 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 27 February 2020, 01:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

What source are you playing and is it in DD5.1 format? 

Userlevel 7

I have the playbar and 2 Sonos one SL connected. However, there is no sound coming from the rear speakers. The playbar sounds great, I can only mute and control the sound from the SL speakers. How do I get them to all play? This is driving me crazy I’m about to return this whole system. 

Hi

The portion of your statement I highlighted in red leads me to believe that the Sonos One SL’s are Grouped to your Playbar and not Bonded as surrounds. If I am mistaken...my aplogies. Click the link on how to Bond and create surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Cheers!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi

The portion of your statement I highlighted in red leads me to believe that the Sonos One SL’s are Grouped to your Playbar and not Bonded as surrounds. If I am mistaken...my aplogies. Click the link on how to Bond and create surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Cheers!

The only thing I can do under products is add sub and remove surrounds. The product reads 

playbar (+LS+RS)

So I believe it is bonded. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for replying. Based upon what you are seeing in the app it looks like @John B is on the right track. If the source is not sending surround material then you won’t hear it. 

You might also check out the trouble shooting tips in the link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3335?language=en_US

Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

We need to know what you are listening to.  And you can check in ‘About my System’ for the Playbar.  Does it say it is receiving stereo or DD5.1?  If only stereo then there is every chance that the system is fine, it is just the nature of the source..

What happens when you play music sources (i.e. not the TV sound)?  Make sure you have Music Settings as ‘FULL’ not ‘AMBIENT’.  Do the rear speakers play?

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s full not ambient. Both of the Sonos One Sl speakers worked without being set up to the playbar, but once I did that no sound. I tried watching a 4K movie through my Xbox one S. I have the digital optical cable connected to my Xbox. Still nothing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for replying. Based upon what you are seeing in the app it looks like @John B is on the right track. If the source is not sending surround material then you won’t hear it. 

You might also check out the trouble shooting tips in the link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3335?language=en_US

Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

I have attempted all of those and still nothing. It’s just static sound. Still only slows me to mute and control volume to the playbar from speakers. The speakers worked fine by themselves just not with the playbar. I uninstalled everything, trueplay, nothing.   When I did the trueplay it wouldn’t let me complete it when the Sl speakers are connected. 

Userlevel 7

It’s full not ambient. Both of the Sonos One Sl speakers worked without being set up to the playbar, but once I did that no sound. I tried watching a 4K movie through my Xbox one S. I have the digital optical cable connected to my Xbox. Still nothing. 

I'm still in agreement with @John B that it’s the source setting or TV sound menu. All sources Xbox, AppleTV etc., must be set to send DD5.1. The TV must be set to send DD5.1 or PCM.

All of your sources should be connected to your TV via HDMI direct or through a HDMI switch. The optical connection for audio should be between your Playbar and TV. 

At this juncture I suggest a Factory Reset of all Sonos. Connect your sources to your TV via HDMI direct or via a HDMI switch. Follow the instructions in the links below:

Factory Reset *

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Home Theater Setup with Playbar and adding surrounds **

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2032?language=en_US

* There are consequences to a Factory Reset please read the instructions carefully.

** After a Factory Reset you are setting up a NEW system

Factory resetting everything will wipe out playlists and settings and more. I think more troubleshooting should be attempted before trying that

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm still in agreement with @John B that it’s the source setting or TV sound menu. All sources Xbox, AppleTV etc., must be set to send DD5.1. The TV must be set to send DD5.1 or PCM.

All of your sources should be connected to your TV via HDMI direct or through a HDMI switch. The optical connection for audio should be between your Playbar and TV. 

At this juncture I suggest a Factory Reset of all Sonos. Connect your sources to your TV via HDMI direct or via a HDMI switch. Follow the instructions in the links below:

Factory Reset *

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Home Theater Setup with Playbar and adding surrounds **

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2032?language=en_US

* There are consequences to a Factory Reset please read the instructions carefully.

** After a Factory Reset you are setting up a NEW system

I’m getting DD 5.1 according to Sonos on the playbar. Still no sound from the SL

I’m getting DD 5.1 according to Sonos on the playbar. Still no sound from the SL

Are you seeing that 5.1 audio input when you navigate the Sonos App to “Settings/System/About My System” and scroll down to the Playbar in the device list? (Next to the Audio In entry?)

Also whilst you’re scrolling down the device list, just ensure that both the Sonos One SL’s are listed with their IP addresses etc. It will be interesting to also establish if the surrounds 'wireless mode' is set to WM:0 or WM:2?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Also whilst you’re scrolling down the device list, just ensure that both the Sonos One SL’s are listed with their IP addresses etc. It will be interesting to also establish if the surrounds 'wireless mode' is set to WM:0 or WM:2?

The two speakers are WM1 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Are you seeing that 5.1 audio input when you navigate the Sonos App to “Settings/System/About My System” and scroll down to the Playbar in the device list? (Next to the Audio In entry?)

Yes 

The two speakers are WM1 

Well that indicates the two SL’s are not 'bonded' to your Playbar … is it a case you may have originally 'grouped' them with the playbar instead and they have ungrouped on TV playback? … I suspect that might be what is happening here?… Did you bond them through the Playbar Room Settings using the “Add Surrounds” option?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The two speakers are WM1 

Well that indicates they are not 'bonded' to your Playbar … is it a case you may have originally grouped them with the playbar instead and they have ungrouped in TV playback? … I suspect that might be what is happening here?… did you bond them through the Playbar Room Settings using the “Add surrounds” option?

Should I just remove the surrounds? I feel like I have tried that already. I thought they are bond

Can you perhaps post some screenshots, so we can see what you’re seeing..it would be helpful to see the following…

• Sonos App ...‘Rooms Tab’ (off main bottom bar)
  • “Settings/System” (showing your Playbar Room and any other Sonos Rooms
  • The actual surround Settings in the Playbar Room 
Userlevel 7

The two speakers are WM1 

Well that indicates the two SL’s are not 'bonded' to your Playbar … is it a case you may have originally 'grouped' them with the playbar instead and they have ungrouped on TV playback? … I suspect that might be what is happening here?… Did you bond them through the Playbar Room Settings using the “Add Surrounds” option?

Agreed. That was my suspension as I mentioned much earlier in this thread. 

AjTrek1 .. Yes, there is no way the speakers are 'bonded' to the Playbar if they are WM:1 .. so something is wrong here. 👍 Hopefully the screenshots from the OP will help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @r.perez0622 

Everyone here is offering sound advice. 

If you are still stuck, don’t hesitate to submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system. 

If you post the confirmation number here, I’d be more than happy to look it over and offer a tech’s-eye view on what’s going on. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @r.perez0622 

Everyone here is offering sound advice. 

If you are still stuck, don’t hesitate to submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system. 

If you post the confirmation number here, I’d be more than happy to look it over and offer a tech’s-eye view on what’s going on. 

r.perez0622,

Strange, as bonded surrounds on a local WiFi network, normally show WM:2 when PlayBar and Sonos system is running on the routers WiFi signal ...and they also normally show WM:0 when there is a Sonos device wired to the router… or so I have always thought?🤔

Another WiFi Access point operating on a different wireless channel are my initial thoughts here, but hopefully @Jean C. will get to the bottom of this matter for you, via the diagnostic report.

Another thought, that there is a perhaps a wired Sonos device somewhere on the local network, but the routers WiFi credentials are still stored in the Sonos App and the HT is running in 'mixed mode' .. removing the Wifi credentials might 'force' the setup over to SonosNet, if that perhaps proves to be the case.

I’m really quite curious as to the actual outcome of this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks so much for that information, @r.perez0622 .

Welcome to the Sonos Community, by the way, and thank you for reaching out with your issue. 

You have two of my favorites in your current set-up.

You seem have an ISP provided Askey router, Ruckus access points and a Sonos surround system on Wi-Fi. 

Is there any way that the Playbar can be wired into your network via Ethernet?

Have you had your Ruckus APs configured to allow multicast rather than their default unicast?  

They actually have a helpful support article on their website concerning Sonos systems. 

If you are able to hard-wire the Playbar, it will prompt your system to broadcast Sonosnet and should neatly sidestep these kinds of issues.