No Airplay 2 for Playbar. GUTTED !!!!!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
hi,

maybe dumb question - I only use my playbar, sub and play:1 for home theatre sound - but what is airplay 2 and why is it a must have feature?
I understand tech evolves. What's the problem is that SONOS told in 2017 Airplay 2 would be available for all the devices.

http://press-us.sonos.com/159680-sonos-unveils-smart-speaker-with-support-for-multiple-voice-services
"Apple AirPlay 2 Coming in 2018
Sonos also announced that it will begin supporting Apple’s AirPlay 2 in 2018, making it possible to play any sound from an iOS device – including YouTube videos and Netflix movies – on Sonos speakers throughout the house. Owners will also be able to ask any Siri-enabled device to control music on Sonos speakers
."
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
[quote=Ricko]I understand tech evolves. What's the problem is that SONOS told in 2017 Airplay 2 would be available for all the devices.

It doesn't say ALL devices. It says devices. I'm coming to terms with it (I mean that very superficiously - this is so minor in the grand scheme of the universe). Just had a moment of being gutted. Posted the message and unleashed the hounds of hell !!! Sorry about that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The reality is that what they promised - to let you play any iOS app sound on Sonos is already available via that awful solution - analogue AirPlay via a airport router to a Sonos speaker with input. So they promised very little with AirPlay and delivered less. For me and most others this airplay solution is a mess. What I have to buy a Sonos One for evey room now? Thats 4 new speakers that I don’t want to make any noise. And if I have 2 prior gen play 5s and a sub I’m 1 room how am I supposed to keep that crappy Sonos One ‘third wheel’ quiet without muting it each time so I can enjoy my music. If the tech is too old on my 10 month old $999 sub (grrr) then at least they should have a Alexa dot sized small puck available to buy with no speaker that I can add on to each room.

Right now no one but Sonos really knows how airplay2 will be implemented. You might need 4 Sonos one for the 4 groups. You might just need one for the whole house. The blog is ambiguous on that. So it really is a wait and see. Think once apple release airplay2 Sonos might release more info.
The Playbar is not a cheap bit of kit though - it was top of the range re: playbars and as such should have been better future proofed.

While it is true that technology progresses and upgraded internals required to support new features, I have only had my Playbar and 1 setup since December and am not thrilled that I paid the same price as the Playbase for an out of date product that would not be able to support features becoming available in the very near future. I feel there should have been some degree of disclosure or a price differential between the Playbar and the Playbase in the same way as there is a 25% price increase between the 1 and the Alexa enabled One.

How were they supposed to future proof for something they had no idea was coming from another company? Also, how can you future proof for something that has modern processing requirements 5 years before those processors are being made and/or sold at an affordable price?
Anytime you're creating a physical product, there's usually a balance between cost of components and future proofing. Given the age of the PLAYBAR, I'm not actually that surprised (albeit it slightly disappointed) that it won't act as a receiver for AirPlay. But I do have a Sonos One and a PLAY:5 Gen 2 that will, and bearing further data from Sonos, assume that they'll be acceptable to receive the signal, and pass it off.

And honestly, most of my input for the PLAYBAR comes through the TV set, which the Apple TV is connected to anyway. I'm assuming that I can "cast" as before to the Apple TV, and have it feed whatever signal necessary to the PLAYBAR.

And frankly, at the time I purchased my 1's and Playbar it was partly on Sonos publicizing Airplay 2 compatibility being in the works and I would have thought the technical requirements would have been well enough understood when they committed to Airplay 2 for Sonos to know that some of their products would not be able to support it.

As has been said many times, Sonos stated in the press and on this forum that Airplay 2 would be supported by the Sonos One at the minimum. There was never any guarantee for support on any other device. Anyone with a clue would realize that if they were at first limiting it to the very latest product, one should be cautious buying a product from 3-4 years ago.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Note : products in shops need to start having a first sold date and a best before date. Really, how does a casual shopper know how old a device and its design and internals are? Normal, non techie customers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Future proofing the processor is really hard. It is 5 years old. So that means the r&d was min 6 year to 7 years ago. Say they used the most advance processor they could for electronic equipment say from qualcomm or broadcomm or who ever. As computer processors are too expensive so that is mostly out of the question. That processor in the playbar is 7 generation behind the times now. Airplay 2 is not even out. But it iis SW base and requires plenty of processor power to run I am sure.

But I can understand your dissatisfaction. But companies always keep selling current models even after the newer models arrive. It is part business.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Note : products in shops need to start having a first sold date and a best before date. Really, how does a casual shopper know how old a device and its design and internals are? Normal, non techie customers.

Google!!!! You can always find out when a product was first release. I would never drop 700 dollars on a product without doing my research first. But that is me.🆒

And frankly, at the time I purchased my 1's and Playbar it was partly on Sonos publicizing Airplay 2 compatibility being in the works and I would have thought the technical requirements would have been well enough understood when they committed to Airplay 2 for Sonos to know that some of their products would not be able to support it.

As has been said many times, Sonos stated in the press and on this forum that Airplay 2 would be supported by the Sonos One at the minimum. There was never any guarantee for support on any other device. Anyone with a clue would realize that if they were at first limiting it to the very latest product, one should be cautious buying a product from 3-4 years ago.

Guess it serves me right for not paying more attention to the press release!
Future proofing the processor is really hard. It is 5 years old. So that means the r&d was min 6 year to 7 years ago. Say they used the most advance processor they could for electronic equipment say from qualcomm or broadcomm or who ever. As computer processors are too expensive so that is mostly out of the question. That processor in the playbar is 7 generation behind the times now. Airplay 2 is not even out. But it iis SW base and requires plenty of processor power to run I am sure.

But I can understand your dissatisfaction. But companies always keep selling current models even after the newer models arrive. It is part business.

I'm not arguing that older products won't have the capacity or features of newer ones. Generally though, deprecated models get a price cut or the newer and more capable is at a higher price. I researched the sound quality and found the trade off between the Playbar and the Playbase to be negligible from the reviews, so went for what I considered to be the more attractive option. Granted, had I researched more I guess I would have found out that there may be a forthcoming reduced feature set as a result, but as the price point was the same I did not consider that it would be the case, so didn't delve deaper.
How has the feature set been reduced?
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Shoturtle, I have to say that my creation of this thread is actually because the Playbar and associated speakers provide, BY FAR, the best cinema experience that I have ever had. I actually sold £2000 speakers and THX amp to move to the Sonos, and it is a far better experience. (I realise I'm opening up a can of worms just saying this!). The key thing with the Playbar is the quality of the voices. With our B&W Series 7 speaker system, we had to continually rewind films to re-hear what people were saying.

Fingers crossed both Playbar and Connect AMP are re-launched with gutsy updated interiors in the next 6 months, and then we will be good. I get that Playbar can be used with ONE speakers, but we have a very real need right now for Airplay in the Connect:AMP so really hope it gets upgraded soon. Someone mentioned upcoming accessories coming from other manufacturers with Airplay 2 in, but I can't find anything online yet. I'm sure that will change.

Thanks everyone for all their points of view. Clearly, it's a very marmite situation. I think one thing is for sure - like other areas of tech (iPhones etc...) - business crosses with hobby with lifestyle, and we get more wrapped up in the hobby side and forget that, at the end of the day, we are dealing with a business, which for the most part, has provided some outstanding hardware.

Finally, I emailed Sonos and got an email confirming what we already know, from their head of customer services. But still, a nice response.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Just voicing this cos I want to, it’s not to add value or provoke anyone but I am bitterly disappointed that the Playbar will not be receiving AirPlay2.

I really don’t get why they didn’t refresh the internals of the Playbar when they launched the Playbase, I would love to understand how difficult or costly that would have been.

For them to update the playbar at the same time as the playbar launch was possible. But Sonos is a small company. They might not have had it in their r&d budget at the time.

It would be a complete redesign. With new processor. There is a new power supply. So new regulators to ensure the everything get the right level of power. And since it is 7 years. You need a updated wifi modem. So all those new components need to be design and then tested. It is not as simple as a PC. Open it up and swap the hhd for a SSD or pop old gen processor for a gen7 processor. Then Sonos have to spend money getting the new playbar certified. It is not a cheap process to do a wholesale redesign of the playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
It's also maybe not cheap sourcing such old, out of date tech now. 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Looks like the new replacement Playbar could be on its way?

https://fccid.io/SBVRM014
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And facts are for those like it to be all about themselves. Sonos when they announced airplay support stated it would only be for the Sonos One. How about thinking of the happy playbase and play:5 gen 2 users that Sonos found they were able to support as well. Bonus for those people. So it’s not about the devices that can’t do it ... it’s aboit how Sonos was able to add to devices that never intended to get airplay. Sonos went well beyond what they promised.
And facts are for those like it to be all about themselves. Sonos when they announced airplay support stated it would only be for the Sonos One

Er, no they didn't, their exact message was 'We're also bringing Apple's AirPlay 2 to the Sonos platform, which will allow you to play audio from any Apple iOS device on your Sonos speakers'

It may have been in a blog post about the Sonos One but was under a separate section regarding their developer portal...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nope they said Sonos One publically from day 1
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Well for a product with that age I think it some kind of fair enough that playbar and play1 etc doesn't feature airplay 2. How many devices that are in use today will get airplay 2? I bet Sonos is amongst those who supports airplay 2 most on older devices.
Eks - b&w says they'll support airplay 2 but has confirmed none of the existing product will support airplay.
I would have been I Sonos philosophy to support it on all devices BUT its not just about hardware, It will require some muscles which these 1 gen units doesn't have
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This might be the solution

http://www.aftvnews.com/fcc-filing-suggests-sonos-is-working-on-a-new-tv-sound-bar-with-alexa-voice-control/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a playbar v2 by holidays. Hopefully with hdmi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would think also all new Sonos speakers will always have Alexa and google
I would think also all new Sonos speakers will always have Alexa and google

Well, almost all. I don't foresee any new Subs or Boost with Alexa built in. A playbase might not physically have a good spot for mics either, not sure.