No ability to change the balance in EQ?

• 14 November 2020
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi I have 2 Sonos One SL speakers, A Sonos Sub and a Sonos Play Bar set up as a 5.1 surround sound system. I have the two Sonos One SL speakers set up as rear surrounds. In general it's pretty good. But what is driving me a little nuts is that there is a definite bias on the right rear speaker (it's too loud and the left rear speaker is too quiet). What I need to be able to do is to manually adjust the balance, but for the life of me I can't find anywhere in the app, either on my phone, or on my laptop I can do this? I borrowed a neighbours iPhone to do the initial set up with TruePlay. But although the system definitely sounds better after doing this, I still need to be able to make some small manual adjustments, as I doubt TruPlay will be able to get this 100% right. I've repeated the process a few times and each time I get the same results. It seems a fundamental requirement to be able to allow customers the ability to fine tune their own EQ settings. If I disable TruePlay, the system sounds pretty horrible. So that isn't an option either. Please can you advise?

I also think it’s really rough that there’s no email support for issues like this. I’m disabled and struggle to use the phone. So yeah, pretty rough really.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

I was trying to adjust the balance in my Sonos Beam surround audio system. I could find no way to do it and then went online and saw this thread. It is several years old, but just wanted to let people know this information:

I also have several sets of Roam speakers in my home. The EQ setting for those speakers clearly has a balance slider that works between my paired sets of Roam speakers. I am not sure why the Sonos person dealing with this issue could never point out that stereo pair‘s using Roam speakers do in fact, have a balance slider. Apparently Sonos has chosen to use only Trueplay to control balance in a surround sound system. It sure seems like they could have included a balance slider to override the Trueplay in both the sound bar and surround speakers. Such a basic requirement! 

Left and right balance is a basic element of stereo sound. The Sonos person just didn’t seem to grasp this concept. For decades I have listened to Ian and Sylvia, a Canadian folk duo. They are each separately mic’d in the recordings. I absolutely love Sylvia’s use of harmony and often times shift the balance to focus more on her voice. Thus balance is sometimes an essential adjustment for my musical enjoyment. I also occasionally find myself sitting in a location that is not dead center between my speakers. Rather than move, it’s nice to be able to make a small adjustment to suit my needs at the moment.

For twenty years I worked in audio and video production. Another video producer I worked with developed a partial hearing loss in one ear. Without a balance slider in his mixing board monitoring system he would not be able to do the essential audio work for his projects.