No ability to change the balance in EQ?

• 14 November 2020
  • 26 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

I was trying to adjust the balance in my Sonos Beam surround audio system. I could find no way to do it and then went online and saw this thread. It is several years old, but just wanted to let people know this information:

I also have several sets of Roam speakers in my home. The EQ setting for those speakers clearly has a balance slider that works between my paired sets of Roam speakers. I am not sure why the Sonos person dealing with this issue could never point out that stereo pair‘s using Roam speakers do in fact, have a balance slider. Apparently Sonos has chosen to use only Trueplay to control balance in a surround sound system. It sure seems like they could have included a balance slider to override the Trueplay in both the sound bar and surround speakers. Such a basic requirement! 

Left and right balance is a basic element of stereo sound. The Sonos person just didn’t seem to grasp this concept. For decades I have listened to Ian and Sylvia, a Canadian folk duo. They are each separately mic’d in the recordings. I absolutely love Sylvia’s use of harmony and often times shift the balance to focus more on her voice. Thus balance is sometimes an essential adjustment for my musical enjoyment. I also occasionally find myself sitting in a location that is not dead center between my speakers. Rather than move, it’s nice to be able to make a small adjustment to suit my needs at the moment.

For twenty years I worked in audio and video production. Another video producer I worked with developed a partial hearing loss in one ear. Without a balance slider in his mixing board monitoring system he would not be able to do the essential audio work for his projects.