New Sonos amp & 5.1

• 20 November 2018
  • 10 replies

Badge
I would love to replace my Onkyo av receiver and my Sonos connect with the new amp. However it only has outputs for 2 speakers and a sub. It would have been amazing if it had front left and right and rear left and right outputs to streamline my setup.

Edit: input to output (thanks @pwt) d’oh

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I would love to replace my Onkyo av receiver and my Sonos connect with the new amp. However it only has inputs for 2 speakers and a sub. It would have been amazing if it had front left and right and rear left and right inputs to streamline my setup.
I think you mean (speaker) outputs, not inputs.
It does not have rear left and right outputs because you can use Sonos speakers wirelessly for that. Sonos really isn't going to see it as progress to encourage people to trail wires the length of their living room, to then connect to non-Sonos speakers.
Badge
My 5.1 wires are in my wall, but I get your point.
My 5.1 wires are in my wall, but I get your point.OK. From your starting point I see why you would want what you suggested
Userlevel 7
Hi weejockpoopong (now that's a handle) ;)

If cost isn't a deal breaker you could purchase two Sonos Amps. One to run your wired front L/R and line-out to sub. The second to connect to your wired generic speakers as surrounds or use two of your Play 1's as surrounds which would eliminate having to purchase the second Sonos Amp. The front L/R would simulate a center channel. The end result is DD4.1 You could still use the front for traditional stereo by lowering the volume of the rears or set rears to Full to have them play in stereo as well.

Cheers!
Badge
Hi weejockpoopong (now that's a handle) ;)

If cost isn't a deal breaker you could purchase two Sonos Amps. One to run your wired front L/R and line-out to sub. The second to connect to your wired generic speakers as surrounds or use two of your Play 1's as surrounds which would eliminate having to purchase the second Sonos Amp. The front L/R would simulate a center channel. The end result is DD4.1 You could still use the front for traditional stereo by lowering the volume of the rears or set rears to Full to have them play in stereo as well.

Cheers!
thanks Ajtreck. It is a 1st world problem. My 5.1 are Superb kefs, my Sonos speakers are all around the house. Looks like i will stick to current setup.
If you don't already have it, the Connect is probably the product you're looking for.
Badge
If you don't already have it, the Connect is probably the product you're looking for.yup got that - so yeah will be sticking with the current setup. Was just hoping it would be an actual proper AV receiver 😃
I have a new LG OLED TV and I purchased the LG Sky10 sound bar because of noted syncing issues between LG and Sonos soundbars. Anyway, I have quickly come to the conclusion that a sound bar does not come close to a traditional wired 5.1 system. I have 2 wired tower speakers with built in subwoofers and a traditional wired center speaker. If I purchase a new Sonos Amp to drive the tower speakers, and purchase to Sonos 1’s for the RL and RR, how could I incorporate the wired center speaker into the system? I have read that the new amp can “simulate” a center speaker, but I am afraid that dialogue will get lost. Also, I read elsewhere that none of the sonos soundbars can be used solely as a center speaker, so replacing my wired center with sonos soundbar is not an option. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Userlevel 7
Hi Rab63

There is no way to incorporate a stand-alone center speaker with Sonos nor convert a PlaybarPlaybase/Beam to sole center speaker duty. Also there is no way to set a Sonos One/ Play 1/Play 3/Play 5 as L/R with a PlaybarPlaybase/Beam.