Answered

Netflix Sound stops dead - Sony OLED and Arc (via Earc)

• 12 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Set up is a Sony A8 TV, Arc connected via EARC. In-built Netflix app on the TV has started to drop the sound at random points in any Netflix programme. Not just brief skips but the sound will suddenly just stop while the picture keeps going. I have to briefly turn the TV off and back on again (just with the remote) and the sound returns. No other apps suffering from this. 

Any suggestions / anyone else getting this behaviour?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by ainsley002 20 November 2020, 18:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ainsley002.

Thanks for reaching out. 

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue, let me help and try to figure this out.

You may check this article that provides common fixes for TV audio interruptions while using Sonos home theater speakers.

If the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs and reply with the confirmation number, I’d start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything that might cause this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I think the best way to deal with this is that I’ll submit a diagnostic next time it happens, which will hopefully pin down whether or not this is a Sonos issue or a problem with the TV. I’ll have a look at the other list as well. Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ainsley002.

Thanks for your response.

Feel free to submit a diagnostic report when the issue occurs and reply with the confirmation number so I can review your system.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

I think the best way to deal with this is that I’ll submit a diagnostic next time it happens, which will hopefully pin down whether or not this is a Sonos issue or a problem with the TV. I’ll have a look at the other list as well. Thanks

The issue you are describing sounds to me like another device connected to the TV has HDMI-CEC enabled and is stealing the focus (control) away from the Arc. You could try temporarily disconnecting the other devices attached to the TV HDMI ports and see if the issue goes away completely and then reconnect the removed devices (one at a time) and try each one for a while and try to narrow down the culprit.

Then either turn off it’s HDMI CEC feature, or maybe add a CEC-Less adapter to its cable… see link:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI/ref=sr_1_3

Hope that might assist.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The issue you are describing sounds to me like another device connected to the TV has HDMI-CEC enabled and is stealing the focus (control) away from the Arc. You could try temporarily disconnecting the other devices attached to the TV HDMI ports and see if the issue goes away completely and then reconnect the removed devices (one at a time) and try each one for a while and try to narrow down the culprit.

Then either turn off it’s HDMI CEC feature, or maybe add a CEC-Less adapter to its cable… see link:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI/ref=sr_1_3

Hope that might assist.

Thanks for the reply. I rolled back the Netflix app to factory today (you can’t uninstall/reinstall on the Sony) and it SEEMED to solve the problem, but it’s intermittent enough that it might just be matter of time!

I’ll certainly try your method if that hasn’t worked. What bugs me is that none of the other internal TV apps do this, so it appears to be a specific Netflix problem, but I’m not seeing other reports of this anywhere else. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

reading this it seems it's still the same issue I've had since the arc launched m8 if you look through the forums there's loads of ppl with this issue I just hope it gets fixed one day it's a real pain Inn the but tbh. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

reading this it seems it's still the same issue I've had since the arc launched m8 if you look through the forums there's loads of ppl with this issue I just hope it gets fixed one day it's a real pain Inn the but tbh. 

Do you mean specifically sound stopping completely with Netflix or drop-outs in general?

This is the ONLY issue I get with sound stopping. Doesn't happen with any other internal apps on the TV or with Netflix via Apple TV or my Sky Q box

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

yeah stops completely mostly on Netflix but can occasionally happen with other built-in apps on the TV and as I say I've had mine since launch if you search through the forums there's quite a few ppl with the same issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After another couple of days I can  (almost) certainly say that the issue in my set up is with the TV’s in-built Netflix app. Since I rolled it back to factory (the App, not the TV) it hasn't dropped at all so now the problem will be if the app wants to update. A completely new version might be OK, but I don’t want it re-installing the broken version. 

This really shouldn’t be happening, of course, but it’s hard to see how this is a Sonos issue when the problem is so specific.