Mystery 5.1 Signal Conversion

• 11 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey folks,

Weird one here, and I’m not sure if anyone knows a good answer so I figured I’d check in.

I’ve got a great setup with a magic BD player that will convert DTS to DD 5.1, so I’ve been having no trouble with most signals.

However, I have 2 DVDs in my collection that have 5.1 mixes (an old Saxon album and the new 5.1 mix from the Motorhead Ace of Spades box set). Neither of those will convert. When I look at the credits/info on the DVDs and packaging, there’s no indication of what type of 5.1 signal it is. My assumption is that if it were DTS or DD, they would have to list that. Signal from Sonos shows up as LCM 2.0, so the BD player is not converting them.

So my question is: does anybody know what type of 5.1 these might be? And if so, any devices that convert those to DD 5.1?

Thanks so much.

(Rest of setup is Playbase, Vizio TV)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @avoyles4803.

Thanks for reaching out and for your very detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

Blu-ray discs commonly use the DTS audio format which is not supported by Sonos. Some Blu-ray players and game consoles have the ability to transcode DTS into a format that Sonos supports, such as Dolby Digital 5.1. It’s best to consult your Blu-ray player’s manual or manufacturer for specific instructions and settings.

You may check this article that contains the lists of the audio formats that are supported by your Sonos home theater products.

While the said album is playing, you may also try to submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number so I can review your system and try to see further audio details.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey Annazel,

I appreciate you attempting to answer this, but unfortunately your answer isn’t around the issue at hand.

As I indicated in the original post, the Blu-ray player does convert DTS to DD 5.1. In fact, I do this quite often.

I’m not sure if the audio on these 2 particular discs are DTS or something else, but they are not converting. SONOS reads them as LCM.

Would a diagnostic reveal what was coming from the Blu-ray player in this case?

When posting this question, I was really thinking the community might have some more ideas on why this certain type of 5.1 might not be converting from the player’s output.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @avoyles4803.

Thanks for your response.

To better understand, how are the devices connected on the TV (including the Playbase)?

Kindly check your TV’s audio settings to make sure it’s set to output audio through the optical port?

No worries, some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this any time soon.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.