Question

Muting Playbar with Samsung Q65 Television Remote

• 20 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I have success controlling Playbar volume with my Samsung remote except that the Mute function appears to be disabled.

Volume is controlled on the Samsung remote by pushing what I will call a “paddle” switch up for increased volume and down for lowering the volume. Muting with the remote using TV speakers is achieved by depressing the “Paddle” (not up or down). Depressing the “Paddle” to mute the TV when the Playbar is engaged has no effect.

The Mute function is critical for immediately silencing highly irritating commercials! Otherwise, it takes 3+ seconds to silence them on the Playbar by merely lowering the volume.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

So, the first thing I’d try is reprogramming the Sonos to accept the remote, on the offhand chance that it wasn’t fully recognized the first time.

I’d also do some testing to see if there is a possibility that that button press on the remote isn’t functioning. I’ve heard that you can use a camera phone, perhaps with special software, to see if an IR signal is being emitted.
Thanks, Bruce. The button must work because it works when the TV speakers are the primary sound source. I’ll try to wrap my geezer brain around the reprogramming process. Thanks again.
That's a pretty good indicator that it does work, I'd say :)

Open up the controller, select Settings, then System, then the room name that has your PLAYBAR in it. Scroll down to almost the bottom, there's a "Remote Control Setup" line that you'd click on.
HI Bruce...

Thanks very much for weighing in on my quandary.

I did as you recommended. When I clicked on Remote Control Setup, I chose “Replace current remote” rather than “Don’t replace.” I was asked to “press certain buttons” and complied by using the paddle to increase volume. That worked for controlling volume but not engaging Mute. Later, I tried again but only depressed the paddle to see if it would respond to my need for mute. Both resulted in allowing the paddle switch to control volume but the system continues to not allow the paddle switch muting function to engage.

It looks like I’m outta luck for getting my Playbar to mute using my Samsung remote. If I’m willing to endure listening only to TV speakers, I can at least get an immediate response to nuke the tinny sound with the Samsung remote.

Cheers...Douger
That's absolutely fascinating.

The Sonos, in this equation, is a "dumb" device, i.e. it is only adding the IR signals that it sees, rather than adding them as a "group" from some data base. Which says to me that the mute signal being sent by the remote is either out of the IR range that the Sonos can "see", or that it's not an actual IR signal, but perhaps a bluetooth signal being sent directly to the TV set.

I hate to suggest a solution that requires more money, but for many years now, I've been a fan of the Logitech Harmony remotes. I would think one of them would be able control your TV and Sonos. I don't have a Samsung, just a Vizio, but I've got two Harmony remotes, and they have worked flawlessly for years, without any issue.

It might be worth contacting Samsung's support line, and asking them if there's some reason why it doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps they could confirm the information I speculated on in the first paragraph of this reply.