Question

Music through my 5.1 setup

• 9 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 34 replies

I have a playbase, two Play:1s and a sub set up in a 5.1 configuration.  My 4K apple TV is connected to my TV by HDMI and the TV feeds the playbase through an optical connection.  When I listen to music I use Plex and can access it in a couple of different ways (Apple TV, Sonos app, Plex app).  Each app gives me different features with the Apple TV the best.  But I get different audio as well.  If I listen with the Sonos App or the Plex android app I seem to get balanced audio from each of the playbase & the Play:1s.  But if I use the Apple TV I get almost nothing from the Play:1s.  I realize in a basic 5.1 set up there isn’t much sent to the rear channels so I’m wondering what I would have to change. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
BTW, I’m happy to detail the features lost within the Plex app and the Sonos app but that’s a whole other set of threads.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

As the Apple device is connected by HDMI Sonos treats it as a regular TV signal and not as a music source. The same thing happens for me if I pop a cd in my 4k Bluray player.

If you prefer the sound of the surrounds with music playback set to Full use the other options.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

As the Apple device is connected by HDMI Sonos treats it as a regular TV signal and not as a music source. The same thing happens for me if I pop a cd in my 4k Bluray player.

If you prefer the sound of the surrounds with music playback set to Full use the other options.

Care to explain?  I don’t see a “full use the other” option anywhere in the menus.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

There's an option in the system settings under the room name for your Playbase called surround audio to set the surrounds to full for music playback. You won't get that using the Apple device. You probably set it originally. I don't think the default is full but ambient. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

There's an option in the system settings under the room name for your Playbase called surround audio to set the surrounds to full for music playback. You won't get that using the Apple device. You probably set it originally. I don't think the default is full but ambient. 

Thanks for that but I've already got that set.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

That's what I thought. As I mentioned you won't get that effect with your Apple device as it's going over HDMI.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That's what I thought. As I mentioned you won't get that effect with your Apple device as it's going over HDMI.

So since the playbase only has one optic in it seems like EVERYTHING I attach to my TV (and then on to the playbase) will work like this.

I did just remember that my TV also has Plex on it.  That would remove the HDMI component from the mix.  I’ll try that and report back.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This might turn out to be an “of course, you idiot” but I have my playbase connected via cat5 cable and sometime recently I turned off its wifi since the wifi doesn’t power down… EVER.  Well, without the wifi my playbase doesn’t seem to communicate with the rear channels or the sub.  When I turned the wifi back on the playback seems to be responding normally.  

Yet, it’s not all there is no communication between the playbase & the play:1s.  When I listening to music I can still pause it from a play:1 and I can control the volume.  But sonos seems to only produce sound from the playbase.  

This seems strange & a waste of electricity.