Answered

Music from Apple TV with speech enhancement, Beam gen 2 replacing Playbar

• 7 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I upgraded to a new TV that supports Dolby Atmos, eArc, etc. I often stream content through an Apple TV 4K which does a better job than the TV’s native apps or any of the Firestick products.

Currently the set up is Playbar, Sub (gen 2) and two Play:1 surrounds. I ordered a Beam Gen 2 to replace the Playbar to take advantage of Atmos content. (Sorry, Arc, but your price and mounting system made you impractical for my setup.)

Question 1: Playing music via my Apple TV seems to be the only way to get Atmos/Spatial music into the system. I’m fine with that for the moment. Right now when playing TV content it automatically goes to speech enhancement mode, something I absolutely want when watch video content. So this comes on automatically when playing music via Apple TV. Does this impact music audio and how? Will I have to remember to turn speech enhancement on and off manually to take best advantage?

Question 2: Since I still love my Playbar, I’m thinking of putting it in a large room (no TV in this room) to replace a pair of Sonos Ones. Any reason why this would be anything but an improvement?

There is room to keep the Ones just next to on either side of the Playbar but I don’t really see a good reason to do that. Any input there?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 October 2022, 18:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

1. Speech enhancement mode is per input (always the digital input) , not per type of data sent to the input. The Sonos system doesn’t recognize the difference between music and normal movie data, it’s all the same. Using the TV/ARC/eARC input for Atmos music is still the only way to get Atmos into the Sonos system, so you would need to be aware of speech enhancement settings.
  2. No, actually the fact that the PLAYBAR is designed to be connected via optical cable, rather than however you’re feeding your Sonos Ones is likely to be an improvement in lipsync. I’d probably set up those Ones as surrounds for the PLAYBAR, and put them behind you. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

You misunderstand about the Playbar. Now that I have the Beam 2 connected to my home theater the thought is to use the Playbar in another room where it will only be used to play music. No more video, no more optical input. I expect it to sound better than a pair of Ones which it will replace.

Try it and see whether it works well for you. If so, then it’s perfect. 

I’d  be challenged by the stereo separation aspect, but it’s still a good set of speakers in a single enclosure. I gifted my two PLAYBARs to friends and family for use on their TVs. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

With features like Spatial Audio the Beam does improve music and TV audio to my ears. I’m not an audiophile due to degenerating hearing.

I did replace two paired Ones with the Playbar in a large high ceiling room. It sounds great! The bass is definitely improved as is the overall depth of the entire sound field. Musically the Playbar just seems happier and more free in its new larger home without the crutch of having a Sub and surrounds connected.

1 Playbar > 2 Ones

My house is already filled with Sonos speakers in most rooms where people spend time so I need to decided whether to find a place for the ones, sell them or gift them.