Answered

Multiple sources into Sonos Arc

• 1 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi, could I connect my TV via HDMI Arc for movies & a microphone mixer for karaoke via optical port to Sonos Arc? Then select the audio output from my TV whenever I want do either activity. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 December 2020, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There aren’t  two separate ports on the Arc, but you could potentially put a switch in front of the HDMI ARC / eARC port, the Sonos should play whatever it is fed. 

There aren’t  two separate ports on the Arc, but you could potentially put a switch in front of the HDMI ARC / eARC port, the Sonos should play whatever it is fed. 

Hi Bruce, thank you for the clarification. 

Can you recommend an HDMI switch (for audio). I have the Sonos ARC and want my TV and my record player both connected to the ARC via HDMI cables, but the ARC only has one HDMI connection…? Would like to not have to manually unplug/plug the different HDMI cable into the back of the soundbar every time I want to switch from playing TV sound to playing record player sound. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You have a record player with HDMI output?? Wow, impressive (or scary, not sure).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Arc needs an ARC connection from your TV, so just connect your advanced record player to an HDMI port on the TV and you can just switch inputs on the TV. Arc connects to your HDMI-ARC port on your TZas expected.

Thanks @controlav but unfortunately this doesn’t work, I don’t know why! My record player has a regular red/white output but I have that plugged into an hdmi converter. When I plug that HDMI to the Sonia arc it works great but when I plug it into an HDMI input on the TV, it doesn’t. So my only option is when I want to use the record player, I switch out the hdmi plugs in the back of the ARC soundbar. 

this is why I was hoping for a switcher  

any other advice?

Thanks @controlav but unfortunately this doesn’t work, I don’t know why! My record player has a regular red/white output but I have that plugged into an hdmi converter. When I plug that HDMI to the Sonia arc it works great but when I plug it into an HDMI input on the TV, it doesn’t. So my only option is when I want to use the record player, I switch out the hdmi plugs in the back of the ARC soundbar. 

this is why I was hoping for a switcher  

any other advice?

What HDMI converter are you using?  It sounds like your covertor is somehow coverting to HDMI-ARC?  In case it’s not clear HDMI and HDMI-ARC is not the same thing.  ARC stands for audio return channel, meaning essentially that audio is flowing in the opposite direction from normal audio/video flow.  Your TV inputs take in normal HDMI audio/video, with one port being able to take in HDMI and send out HDMI-ARC (the one labeled HDMI-ARC).  The Sonos Arc takes in HDMI-ARC.

So if your convertor box sends out HDMI, it should work with your TV and not directly to the Sonos Arc...because it needs to be HDMI-ARC.  If your convertor box sends out HDMI-ARC, then it would not work with your TV (it’s looking for normally HDMI) but would connected directly to the Sonos Arc.  The latter is the situation you describe, but I’m not aware of any device that can convert RCA (red/white cables) into HDMI-ARC.