Answered

Multiple MAC adresses with wired Playbar

• 21 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello! Did some Googling and reviewed quite some topics on here/Reddit/Unifi Community but couldn’t find anyone with the same symptom.

I just recently bought some Ubiquity gear and got the majority of my devices on the new network. One of the things that I wanted to achieve was to wire all my devices where I can. This resulted in my Sonos setup in the Living Room beeing almost completely wired, except for the Sub. The setup is a “classic” Sonos surround setup with a Playbar and two Play:1's (and the Sub).

The surround setup has went to a complete factory reset due to the fact that the remote of my new TV was not able to bind properly. This is still buggy but that seems to be another challenge I guess.

Today, all of a sudden, a new device came up in my Unifi controller on the same port where my Playbar is connected to (and I don't use the second port on the Playbar for “daisy chaining”). While I was investigating this, 3 other devices (as in; unique MAC adresses) also showed up within the controller and are beeing identified as Sonos products as well.

1 = Playbar / 2 = Play:1 / 3 = Play:1 / 4 = First additional device showed up (I renamed this one myself, it also advertised as SonosZP) / 5-6-7 = newest devices. Within the controller (not showed in the printscreen above) we can see that devices 1-4-5-6-7 are all connected to the same port on the Living Room switch.

I want to setup firewall rules to control the setup from another VLAN (all Sonos devices are on a IOT LAN and my phone will be in the Client LAN), and I would like these rules to be specific to the IP's I assigned to the Sonos devices. I could serve these “ghost” devices static IP's based on MAC adress and put these IP's in the Sonos group which will do but that's obvisouly a fix and is not mittigating the extra devices.

Does anyone has any idea what these additional devices are and if they are to be expected; how many can I expect.

icon

Best answer by kroon 22 December 2021, 11:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Can’t you identify the devices from their MAC addresses? Either the same as the serial number (less the last character) or immediately adjacent to it. 

The wireless Sub will obviously appear via the Playbar’s wired connection. Do you have other wireless Sonos devices? 

Do you have any switches with RSTP enabled? 

Thanks ratty, your question around any other SONOS devices got me to the answer :) I didn't mentioned other SONOS decides since I didn't tought it matter, you will find out below why.

**Just putting my thoughts out here for future reference for anyone ending up in this topic.**

The MAC adress of device 4 is actually the Sub which is wireless connected.

I also have a surround setup (- sub) in the Master Bedroom which was in the same account but on different Wifi settings (my old network and SSID is still up and running during the migration). After your post I connected to my old SSID to check in on those MAC adresses when I found out that the speakers where not there anymore. Switching back to my new SSID resulted in the bedroom devices showing up in the SONOS app as beeing available for configuration. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, the bedroom setup got sort of automatically provisioned during the day. Maybe something triggered it, I don't know for sure, no manual work from my end at least.

So the thing I didn't knew was that SONOS devices that pair to a “main” speaker which is wired, actually show up individually on the same network port where (in this case) the playbar serves as a wireles to wired switch/hub. Didn't see this behaviour on my old network since the all the SONOS devices were connecting via wireless and I only saw one wireless SONOS speaker.

By all means: devices 5/6/7 are my Beam and two One's from my bedroom setup

Regarding the RSTP setting: The Utility Closet switch is the only device in my network with this functionality and this is turned off since this is stated within multiple topics online.

If at least one Sonos device is wired, all wireless units (apart from Move/Roam) will always try and connect back through it/them over SonosNet. In other words SonosNet takes priority over WiFi.