Skip to main content

Multichannel PCM 5.1 dropping out since 14.10 update

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Multichannel PCM 5.1 blanks out for a second every 1-2 minutes. I don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue as it works flawlessly with Multichannel PCM 7.1 (thorough test) and Dolby TrueHD Atmos (quick test). And it may have been caused by the Sonos 14.10 update. Setup is PS5→ LG C1→ Beam 2 (via earc).

2 weeks ago before the 14.10 update, I watched a bluray film wherein I had my PS5 transcode the DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio to Multichannel PCM 5.1 (as the C1 does not support DTS) and had no issues. Earlier today, I played a bluray film for the first time in 2 weeks and I encountered consistent audio dropouts every 1-2 minutes. It had the same setup where DTS-HD MA 5.1 → Multichannel PCM 5.1. I tested other bluray discs including the one I watched 2 weeks ago and they all now have the same issue.

Curiously, I’ve been gaming heavily on my PS5 the past two 2 weeks and haven’t had any audio issues. Then I realized that I’ve been using Multichannel PCM 7.1 when gaming on my PS5. So I made some changes under the PS5 sound settings to make it output Multichannel PCM 5.1 instead. Lo and behold, I am now getting the same consistent dropouts in games and even on the PS5 main menu.

I think it’s due to the Sonos 14.10 update as that’s the only firmware update I’ve done in the last 2 weeks. No PS5 update, no LG C1 update. Well actually while I was composing this post, I received and applied the latest LG C1 firmware update and I still have the same issue.

503 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Update to this - For the last week, I’ve been using the cable recommended in in this thread and so far it’s been perfect. I will re post if I start having issues.

I finally found this thread after I’ve already had Apple replace my Apple TV (2022). I had a week where I thought the issue was fixed, but it was just luck since the problem is very intermittent for me. After that I finally suspected my LG C2 or the Beam Gen 2, since the issue before exclusively occurred on a single Apple TV.

Really disappointing there is no official fix for this, especially when the Arc is supposed to be fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

478 replies and Sonos hasn’t even acknowledged an issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

478 replies and Sonos hasn’t even acknowledged an issue. 

Given how they’re currently going through a courageously disastrous new app rollout, that’s no surprise. They don’t care even if they screw over most of their users.

TLDR of the thread for prospective buyers who find their way here: If you own an LG TV, do not buy this product! The same issue does not exist for the Sonos Arc so it is likely a Sonos issue. However, it’s been 2 years since this thread and Sonos has done nothing (except wash their hands off of the issue).

Wish I'd found this thread before buying. LG G3 with Apple TV 4K. Beam 2. PCM 5.1 dropouts.

It's going back to Amazon this week.

First Sonos purchase, horrible experience. Further to comments already made in this thread...I don't see how I could buy another Sonos product in good conscience given (1) the ramifications of this issue in the future, i.e. products suddenly become unusable following firmware updates and (2) the dismissive manner in which this has apparently been addressed. I loved the sound initially and was even thinking about buying more Sonos products, but nope.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok. I just bought a brand new 2024 model LG G4 65”. Cost was £2200. 
I have a sonos beam gen2. 2 Era 100s and a sub mini.

i used my sonos products with my old sony bravia and it worked flawlessly. Since getting the LG i am having the problem of the sound randomly cutting out for 1-2 seconds at a time. Sometimes 3 times a minute. Really annoying. I reset the tv to factory settings and it worked ok for a few weeks but it has now returned. I have tried eveything i can do with the settings and nothing fixes it.

I have a set top box and a firestick connected to it and its doing the same with both.

This is so frustrating as i love my sonos products but i am seriously thinking of changing my whole sonos setup to bose. I am so dissapointed. 

Badge +1

i used my sonos products with my old sony bravia and it worked flawlessly. Since getting the LG i am having the problem of the sound randomly cutting out for 1-2 seconds at a time. Sometimes 3 times a minute. Really annoying. I reset the tv to factory settings and it worked ok for a few weeks but it has now returned. I have tried eveything i can do with the settings and nothing fixes it.

I have a set top box and a firestick connected to it and its doing the same with both.

This is so frustrating as i love my sonos products but i am seriously thinking of changing my whole sonos setup to bose. I am so dissapointed. 

I get the frustration, especially when Sonos is blaming it on LG and LG blaming this on Sonos. In my optinion the issue is clearly with Sonos, because why doesn’t the Arc have the cut out issues and the Beam 2 does all of a sudden since over a year now after a firmware update?

Keep in mind that the HDMI 1 port on your G4 shouldn’t have the cut out issues, only 3 and 4 are affected by this. I ended up returning the Beam 2 and replaced it with the Arc, never had a dropout ever again. I also recomment replacing the HDMI cable by Sonos for a good HDMI 2.1 cable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I get the frustration, especially when Sonos is blaming it on LG and LG blaming this on Sonos. In my optinion the issue is clearly with Sonos, because why doesn’t the Arc have the cut out issues and the Beam 2 does all of a sudden since over a year now after a firmware update?

Keep in mind that the HDMI 1 port on your G4 shouldn’t have the cut out issues, only 3 and 4 are affected by this. I ended up returning the Beam 2 and replaced it with the Arc, never had a dropout ever again. I also recomment replacing the HDMI cable by Sonos for a good HDMI 2.1 cable.

Hi Fendera,

Thank you so much for this reply. I thought it was all hdmi ports.

should i have the sonos plugged into hdm1 or my set top box?

Badge +1

Hi Fendera,

The Beam Gen 2 should always be plugged in via the HDMI 2 (eARC) port on your LG TV. Make sure eARC is enabled within the TV settings, also set it up to "Passthrough". Usually the cutouts occur from consoles, devices and set top boxes that are plugged in via the HDMI port 3 and 4. Especially when using the PCM 5.1 audio format. Make sure to plug the device that you are using the most to the HDMI 1 port, that port shouldn't be affected by the audio cut outs. Another solution could be to buy a HDMI switch with 4 or 5 ports as an example. With that method you can hook multiple devices to the HDMI 1 port of your TV. Be sure to buy a HDMI 2.1 switch if you want to use the full HDMI bandwidth of your TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Fendera,

The Beam Gen 2 should always be plugged in via the HDMI 2 (eARC) port on your LG TV. Make sure eARC is enabled within the TV settings, also set it up to "Passthrough". Usually the cutouts occur from consoles, devices and set top boxes that are plugged in via the HDMI port 3 and 4. Especially when using the PCM 5.1 audio format. Make sure to plug the device that you are using the most to the HDMI 1 port, that port shouldn't be affected by the audio cut outs. Another solution could be to buy a HDMI switch with 4 or 5 ports as an example. With that method you can hook multiple devices to the HDMI 1 port of your TV. Be sure to buy a HDMI 2.1 switch if you want to use the full HDMI bandwidth of your TV.

You have been really helpful Fendera. Thank you so much. I have been googling and reading non stop about this to try and get it sorted. The only thing i never tried was changing ports. I though all ports were affected by this. I will try this when i get home from work. Thanks again

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Donstuarty In my experience, HDMI 1 still has dropouts of 1-2x per hour. Not perfect but certainly more tolerable. IMHO ideal solution is still to return the Beam but if you can’t do that anymore, no choice but to use HDMI 1 or get a directional cable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Donstuarty In my experience, HDMI 1 still has dropouts of 1-2x per hour. Not perfect but certainly more tolerable. IMHO ideal solution is still to return the Beam but if you can’t do that anymore, no choice but to use HDMI 1 or get a directional cable.

Hi yofalat,

Just reporting back on this. It is still doing the same connected to the HDMI 1. I have ordered an HDMI 2.1 cable to see if that helps maybe, but im not confident this will make a difference. I have noticed that its maybe not as bad as what it was, but now the screen is also blacking out too the odd time. I have had the beam for about 3 years now so returning it is not an option. I had a sony bravia TV before my LG and it worked flawless with that. I am now out of ideas of how to fix this issue. I dont even know if it is Sonos or LG who is to blame. Its only started going like this from i got my LG but i have read a lot of people are having the same problem with different TVs from different brands too.

Badge +1

Hi yofalat,

Just reporting back on this. It is still doing the same connected to the HDMI 1. I have ordered an HDMI 2.1 cable to see if that helps maybe, but im not confident this will make a difference. I have noticed that its maybe not as bad as what it was, but now the screen is also blacking out too the odd time. I have had the beam for about 3 years now so returning it is not an option. I had a sony bravia TV before my LG and it worked flawless with that. I am now out of ideas of how to fix this issue. I dont even know if it is Sonos or LG who is to blame. Its only started going like this from i got my LG but i have read a lot of people are having the same problem with different TVs from different brands too.

Looks like LG made some changes in terms of the HDMI ports on the newest models. The HDMI 1 port "fix" worked on the C1/G1 and even up to the C3/G3 I believe. I for myself own the C1 and there were no dropouts when using HDMI Port 1, with several other users on reddit confirming this when they switched to the HDMI 1 port as well.

The HDMI cable that came with the Beam 2 isn't as reliable either. Even with the HDMI 1 port "fix", I had these random sound cut outs but less frequent with the original cable from Sonos. I replaced it with a nice HDMI 2.1 cable and those random cut outs went basically away. 

If nothing works, maybe you could sell the Beam Gen 2 and buy the Arc instead. Not ideal and very frustrating, but at least we know that the Arc doesn't have those issues. 

I hope you can find a good solution that works for you 👍🏻

Badge +1

The fibre cable has issues of its own unfortunately, I did try this too with my Beam Gen 2. This introduced a new issue, I had random blackouts of the screen and also sound cutouts but not as frequently as before. It wasn't optimal and that was the point when I returned the Beam and bought an Arc instead. This fixed it for me but it was certainly a very frustrating experience.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The fibre cable has issues of its own unfortunately, I did try this too with my Beam Gen 2. This introduced a new issue, I had random blackouts of the screen and also sound cutouts but not as frequently as before. It wasn't optimal and that was the point when I returned the Beam and bought an Arc instead. This fixed it for me but it was certainly a very frustrating experience.

Looks like i have 2 options now. Buy an  arc or kick the TV through the window. Neither good options considering the amount of money i have spent on everything. I love both of them why cant they just get along lol. Im going to contact LG this coming week and see what they say. If not i will have to buy the arc. Are you sure the arc doesnt have these issues? I have read in some of these forums that it can go the same way.  Thanks for the replies trying to help me out guys. 

Badge +1

Looks like i have 2 options now. Buy an  arc or kick the TV through the window. Neither good options considering the amount of money i have spent on everything. I love both of them why cant they just get along lol. Im going to contact LG this coming week and see what they say. If not i will have to buy the arc. Are you sure the arc doesnt have these issues? I have read in some of these forums that it can go the same way.  Thanks for the replies trying to help me out guys. 

All I can say is that I had the Beam Gen 2 with the audio cuts on HDMI 3 and 4. I tried literally anything but nothing that worked in the end. Only the HDMI 1 port was unaffected by the issues. I've encountered several other users online who had the same problem with the Beam 2 and LG OLED TVs. Never heard of cut out issues with the Arc in combination with LG (not saying there aren't others with issues but I've never heard anything). 

A friend of mine also has the Arc with an LG G2 and he never had any issues as well. I did some testing on his system just to be sure. I also have not encountered these cut outs since I have the Arc, that's why I can confidently say that the Arc works fine. 

First time I'm hearing that even with the HDMI 1 port trick, the issues remain, maybe it has something to do with the new models C4/G4 I'm not sure?

Some users also recommended to replace the HDMI cable that came with the Beam, because apparently it can cause some issues as well. It is recommended to use a HDMI 2.1 cable in combination of eARC due to bandwidth. 

It's very frustrating, especially when buying premium products like the LG G4 or a Sonos sound system, just to find out that there are deal breaking issues in combination of both. 

Like you said, try out the replacement cable first, maybe do another reset of the TV or Sonos after plugging in the new cable. Also try out the LG customer service, I wonder if they have any recommendations, probably nothing that helps, but at least more people make them aware of this issue that is going on for more than a year by now. 

Important TV settings:

DTV Audio Setting: Auto

Select HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

If nothing helps, I recommend replacing the Beam with the Arc before selling your Sonos system. It's great when it works, so I encourage you to keep trying. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

All I can say is that I had the Beam Gen 2 with the audio cuts on HDMI 3 and 4. I tried literally anything but nothing that worked in the end. Only the HDMI 1 port was unaffected by the issues. I've encountered several other users online who had the same problem with the Beam 2 and LG OLED TVs. Never heard of cut out issues with the Arc in combination with LG (not saying there aren't others with issues but I've never heard anything). 

A friend of mine also has the Arc with an LG G2 and he never had any issues as well. I did some testing on his system just to be sure. I also have not encountered these cut outs since I have the Arc, that's why I can confidently say that the Arc works fine. 

First time I'm hearing that even with the HDMI 1 port trick, the issues remain, maybe it has something to do with the new models C4/G4 I'm not sure?

Some users also recommended to replace the HDMI cable that came with the Beam, because apparently it can cause some issues as well. It is recommended to use a HDMI 2.1 cable in combination of eARC due to bandwidth. 

It's very frustrating, especially when buying premium products like the LG G4 or a Sonos sound system, just to find out that there are deal breaking issues in combination of both. 

Like you said, try out the replacement cable first, maybe do another reset of the TV or Sonos after plugging in the new cable. Also try out the LG customer service, I wonder if they have any recommendations, probably nothing that helps, but at least more people make them aware of this issue that is going on for more than a year by now. 

Important TV settings:

DTV Audio Setting: Auto

Select HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

eARC Support: On

If nothing helps, I recommend replacing the Beam with the Arc before selling your Sonos system. It's great when it works, so I encourage you to keep trying. 

I love the TV and i love my sonos. I guess they just dont love each other. Looks like i am going to have to save and buy the arc. I was intending to upgrade anyway. Just wasnt expecting it to be so soon after paying out a lot of money for the LG. Thanks guys

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you’re not yet trapped within the Sonos ecosystem, this might be a good time to start over with another brand instead of going Arc / Arc 2. Hard to continue putting my trust in Sonos after seeing their track record (e.g. ignoring this issue, only addressing the longstanding Atmos pop issue after coverage by The Verge, the disastrous new app rollout, etc)

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you’re not yet trapped within the Sonos ecosystem, this might be a good time to start over with another brand instead of going Arc / Arc 2. Hard to continue putting my trust in Sonos after seeing their track record (e.g. ignoring this issue, only addressing the longstanding Atmos pop issue after coverage by The Verge, the disastrous new app rollout, etc)

Well the story so far. It started working ok, i dont know why. Im not sure if it was because i changed it to hdmi 1 as in a previous suggestion. But it just started working about 2 days later. I bought the arc as i wanted to upgrade anyway and it seems to be working ok. HDMI 3 i have my firestick plugged in and was watching star wars on disney plus and it was dropping a lot. I changed the sound to passthrough and didnt have any more drop outs. For now everything seems good. I get the odd dropout while watch normal tv on my set top box but im putting it down to bad signal. Its very rare. I have the sonos sub mini and 2 era 100s so changing it wouldnt have been an option anyway

I hade the same problem as everyone in this thread, for some reason I have had no problems with the sound cutting out on my ps5 with LG C1 and Beam 2 for like a month. Didn’t switch out any cables or changed any settings. The ps5 is on HDMI 3. Anyone else with similar results? I hope I didn’t jinxed it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I hade the same problem as everyone in this thread, for some reason I have had no problems with the sound cutting out on my ps5 with LG C1 and Beam 2 for like a month. Didn’t switch out any cables or changed any settings. The ps5 is on HDMI 3. Anyone else with similar results? I hope I didn’t jinxed it.

Hi Howl,

It seems to be a problem with the LG TVs. Not sure if it is only the new ones or not. I had the beam 1 and then bought the arc and both are doing the same thing. HDMI 1 seems ok. I have ordered an HDMI switch that i am going to plug into HDMI 1 and then all my boxes and stuff will plug into that. The switch is coming today so i will report back and let you know if it works. Its not ideal but hopefully it will work until some kind of fix comes out for this.

Badge +1

If the PS5 is set to Dolby Atmos in the sound settings, then there aren't any sound cut outs. This only occurs when setting it to PCM 5.1 and using HDMI 3 and 4.

If the PS5 is set to Dolby Atmos in the sound settings, then there aren't any sound cut outs. This only occurs when setting it to PCM 5.1 and using HDMI 3 and 4.

My ps5 I set to linear PCM 5.1. Tv has bitstream and passthrough on. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@thehowl  This issue appears to come and go seemingly at random. Maybe you’re just on a (very) lucky streak? Hard to believe someone somewhere fixed something else they’d have announced it by now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Tested for around 10 minutes on my C1’s HDMI 3 and there were no dropouts. Can’t even recall the last time I tested for this. So either it’s my “lucky” day as well or something did change (maybe as a byproduct and they didn’t even know lol).