Multichannel PCM 5.1 dropping out since 14.10 update

Show first post

481 replies

Badge

But what do I lose if I just move the Sonos Beam to HDMI 3 or 4 and lose the eArc. Does that just mean I can’t talk to my TV?! 

The audio return is on HDMI 2 only. You can’t connect it to any other port. The optical cable should fix the issues for you though. 

Can also confirm that this “fix” worked. Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So after seeing the Verge story about the audio popping issue being fixed I wondered whether this ever got resolved. I can’t easily swap my cable out but may try it seeing as there have been a few firmware updates for the LG CX recently, as well as the Beam obviously.

Anybody still monitoring this?

I guess everyone already gave in and bought the one way cable lol. As for my case, I am still experiencing periodic dropouts on HDMI1 so I think it’s still not yet fixed. Sonos did mention that they specifically addressed an issue with Dolby MAT Atmos.

Remember, Sonos denied the Atmos pop issue for years until that The Verge article came out. Then all of a sudden Sonos investigated and fixed a “non-existent” issue that was previously “caused by your TV / PC / Console / Bluray player / HDMI cable / CEC / Atmos / anything but Sonos’ product.” It would take a The Verge article-level of miracle to get Sonos to fix this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think the fact that the mods are not engaging with this thread anymore is telling. I think Sonos have reproduced the issue and so don’t need any more diagnostics or support calls coming in.

At this point they either don’t know how long a fix will take, or how it can be done and hence don’t want to set expectations, or they know it’s unfixable and are hoping this just dies away in time.

Downloaded new update from Korea LG website and updated it from USB. For the moment, it seems the problem is finally solved!! Will see how it goes the upcoming days… Fingers crossed!

Same problem here since Sonos v14 update with LG C1. Really frustrating :(

In my case, I have 1 second cutoff every exactly 59 seconds.

Badge

Can confirm drop outs still happen on 15.4. 🙄

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

In my case, I have 1 second cutoff every exactly 59 seconds.

My dropout frequency has also change now to every 59.8 seconds, but the drop remains approximately 1 second. The only relevant thing that I’m aware has changed (other than the dog destroying the TV remote) is Sonos firmware, now on 14.18 (without the grey dots in the app).

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The dropouts are back again, completely randomly.

Turned on the TV and they’re suddenly back after several weeks that they were gone.

Nobody cares apparently.

Neither Sonos nor LG got back to me even after contacting support multiple times.

This was my first and last Sonos product.

Completely embarrassing service and support.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

5.1 PCM started to work fine with PS5 and LG CX 3 days ago. It worked perfectly for two days, 3-4 hours of gameplay each day and no cutouts at all, until I had to cut power from all three devices, and now the issue is back again. I wonder what did I do to make it work for 2 days?

EDIT: I just read this thread a bit more and realized that the same happened to a lot of people before, but then the issue came back again. Sigh...

Thanks for taking the time to post the new data point. It seems that LG C3 chipset isn't drastically different to C1/C2.

Indeed, power cycling the Beam2 should re-instate the dropouts immediately.

Sorry, maybe I was unclear. I have an LG CX, not a C3. 

Ah, got it. Sorry, I misread your post. It was @Retcon with the C3, I should have scrolled up to double check before replying.

Awesome. I'll try it myself today. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi all, I have a LG C2 and I bought a beam 2 a few weeks back but I had not played my PS5 until today and yep I’ve got this issue 🙄 I’ve had more problems with the Beam 2 than the Beam 1. Some ‘upgrade’.

I have PS5 in HDMI 3. I have Apple TV in HDMI 4 and have had zero skipping issues with that.

Whoever is at fault, be it LG or Sonos needs to fix this crap. It’s a joke that the solution is to buy a new cable. I’ve just bought the one linked on this page so hopefully that works with no problems.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sounds like it’s an issue in the TV set somewhere. Sonos plays whatever it’s handed. 

Couldn't possibly be a Sonos bug, right? Despite the Beam 2 having internal audio buffers for lip sync, true play, multi-room, and having CEC control and HDMI handshakes and considerable DSP. Could be in the C1 too from the experiences posted, but let’s try to remain objective and keep the apologist rhetoric to the first page of these threads?

Edit: That being said I noticed there is a new LG C1 firmware released (03.33.26) which I have yet to install, will report back if this changes the behaviour of the dropouts

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi all, I have a LG C2 and I bought a beam 2 a few weeks back but I had not played my PS5 until today and yep I’ve got this issue 🙄 I’ve had more problems with the Beam 2 than the Beam 1. Some ‘upgrade’.

On the PS5 you can switch on Atmos and it will no longer be a problem (Settings > Sounds > Audio Output > Audio Format). I’ve never had this issues since changing the settings. My PS5 is also on HDMI 3.

Ok. I just bought a brand new 2024 model LG G4 65”. Cost was £2200. 
I have a sonos beam gen2. 2 Era 100s and a sub mini.

i used my sonos products with my old sony bravia and it worked flawlessly. Since getting the LG i am having the problem of the sound randomly cutting out for 1-2 seconds at a time. Sometimes 3 times a minute. Really annoying. I reset the tv to factory settings and it worked ok for a few weeks but it has now returned. I have tried eveything i can do with the settings and nothing fixes it.

I have a set top box and a firestick connected to it and its doing the same with both.

This is so frustrating as i love my sonos products but i am seriously thinking of changing my whole sonos setup to bose. I am so dissapointed. 

I applied the update and I still have the issue. I think I read somewhere that HDMI-CEC might be broken. I'm going to try restarting everything and see if that helps. I can't disable CEC on the TV while the Beam is plugged in.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Interesting reading those papers about eARC - the ITE paper states that TMDS signalling is limited to 4/8/16 channels. Perhaps that’s why everything was 7.1 (8 channels)?

if the new ATV4K has moved to FRL signalling then perhaps that’s why it now outputs 5.1. Possibly the PS5 has also switched to FRL signalling hence the fix to 5.1 that came a few firmwares ago.

is FRL the culprit somehow? 

I've tried a few video modes now but can't get ATV4K Gen 3 to use FRL, it's always TMDS. I doubt FRL is in there, the bandwidth isn't needed for the video modes Gen 3 supports. Apple must have changed something else more fundamental between Gens 2 and 3.

Not sure if the ATV is aware of the Beam 2 during the handshakes, or if the LG just reports it'll accept audio formats that it knows it can "pass through” based on the eARC capabilities received from the Beam2. I did also test that Gen 1 incorrectly negotiates 7.1 with my eARC AVR in place of the Beam2 on the C1, but does get 5.1 correct on the A1

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

On the PS5 you can switch on Atmos and it will no longer be a problem (Settings > Sounds > Audio Output > Audio Format). I’ve never had this issues since changing the settings. My PS5 is also on HDMI 3.

Thanks. But can I ask why is Linear PCM recommand for PS5 then and not Dolby atmos? Why was everyone in the thread not just switching over? What I’m I losing by switching to atmos? I presume I still get 5.1

Sorry for all the questions but I am a audio noob :D

Coming to this late but wanna add my experience here. LG G2, Beam Gen 2 via e-Arc, 4K Firestick in HDMI 1, PS5 in 3 and Nintendo Switch in 4.

Firestick works FLAWLESSLY. No drop outs, 5.1, 7.1, Atmos all work great. PS5 works perfectly when playing games, but trying to watch a Blu Ray is a lottery whether it will play (only after TV hardware reset) drop out intermittently (sometimes not coming back at all) or just no sound from the off. Nintendo Switch audio drops out for a second every couple of minutes.

With the Blu Ray issue being fixed by a TV hard reset I initially thought it might be a TV issue, but I used a SONY soundbar via e-Arc before with absolutely no issues. I thought the Sonos would be an upgrade but this issue is making me strongly consider returning it. This is not budget equipment, I shouldn’t have to lose my evenings trying to get it to work properly…

I was just in a chat with Sonos support, who said to purchase a CEC-less HDMI cable to fix this issue. Which is ridiculous as everything was working fine for me until recently. I’ve noticed that the HDMI 1 port on my LG CX isn’t affected by this bug, it’s only HDMI ports 3 and 4 but if I switch the HDMI cables then HDMI 1 is affected. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks. But can I ask why is Linear PCM recommand for PS5 then and not Dolby atmos? Why was everyone in the thread not just switching over? What I’m I losing by switching to atmos? I presume I still get 5.1

Atmos was added to the PS5 last year in an update. Most of this thread predates that change. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So a few months ago we had confirmation that Sonos were investigating this issue - can we get an update @Corry P?

I remember about the same time somebody had a response from Sonos saying that they were committed to resolving the issue - did that person ever get a follow up from Sonos support?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Atmos was added to the PS5 last year in an update. Most of this thread predates that change. 

Now I’m bought the cable I’ll try that first. I see from your posts that can cause it’s own (perhaps rare?) problem?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It can, but it is a whole lot better than without it. 

This issue is so widespread on sonos reddit  and here that i cannot recommend buying sonos if u have a ps5 and lg tv. The bug has been around for 6 months. I too have this issue and none of the fixes will stop the dropouts.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So a few months ago we had confirmation that Sonos were investigating this issue - can we get an update @Corry P?

I remember about the same time somebody had a response from Sonos saying that they were committed to resolving the issue - did that person ever get a follow up from Sonos support?

I was that person and no nobody ever contacted me back.