Answered

MJ acoustics sub with high level connection

• 7 March 2018
  • 3 replies

I have an MJ acoustics pro 50 MK2 sub. I was planning on conecting this to my connect amp via a high level neutrik cable rather than the sub out socket on the amp.
Can this be done and will I need to connect all 3 leads or just two ( not the black ground) as it’s a digital amp ?
The sales guy at MJ has told me I can’t use the high level lead only the sub out, I don’t believe he is correct based in some other articles I’ve read?
My reason for connection via the speaker terminals as opposed to the sub out connection is that I believe a lower cross over frequency will be achieved and that the bass. Will still go to my floor standers - is this all correct?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 8 March 2018, 01:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I would wire the Connect Amp exactly as you would any other amp - use the black lead as instructed.

However for the price of a cheap RCA lead, try the sub out socket on the Connect Amp route as well, to the corresponding jack on the Sub, and decide based on what sounds best, because the sub out route has advantages as well. For one, the load on the 55 wpc Connect Amp is reduced this way, so if the floor standers are a big power draw, this is a favour to the amp. Also, not having to deliver all the frequencies often has the main speakers do better at the remaining frequencies they are then left with.

But, since the proof of the pudding is in what sounds best, the only reliable way to decide is to try both to decide what does.
Thanks very much Kumar - the tech team at MJ acoustics have said definatly not to wire with a high level lead and also Sonos tech have said its not advised because of the ohm capacity of speakers and sub at the speaker terminals isn’t what the connect amp suits. I’m baffled to be honest, the main reason for wanting the high level connection was that lower frequencies would still go to my b n w xt4 floorstanders. Your point about reduced load to the amp by using the sub out is a very good one that I hadn’t considered. Thankyou.
I seem to recall there has been similar advice in the context of speaker-level connections to REL subs. Apparently the CONNECT:AMP/ZP120 (and ZP100) power amps don't share a common ground.