Answered

LPCM ETA for Arc?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

206 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just in time for the new consoles. Thanks Sonos! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

HUGE.  Thank you Sonos.

Not only can I see it in the app, but I can hear it!! Wow, what a difference it makes when playing my Switch! Playing the demo of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, I can hear the Moblins actually surrounding me! Way to go Sonos! 

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting pictures.*

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’m trying to update Sonos on my iMac running 10.15.7 and I keep getting an “Update failed” error message.  Anyone else?

Could be lots of people trying to do the update at once, make sure you update your other devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) so that at least you can get your hardware updated once the software is updated. Then come back to the Mac. 

I have updated my SONOS Arc now, but unfortunately my 3 year old Samsung QLED TV does not forward the LPCM signal to the Arc so I still unfortunately only get PCM 2.0 audio.
Thinking about changing TV. Anyone can confirm if you get surround from a Nintendo Switch with an LG GX / CX TV and a SONOS Arc together?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The only other device is an Android which I updated.  Still getting the error message on my Mac no matter how many attempts.

I can confirm I get multichannel PCM 7.1 as the audio in when playing switch. 

The only other device is an Android which I updated.  Still getting the error message on my Mac no matter how many attempts.

Maybe try uninstalling the Sonos app on your Mac then install afresh from the Sonos Support website? Make sure you select to connect to existing system. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have updated my SONOS Arc now, but unfortunately my 3 year old Samsung QLED TV does not forward the LPCM signal to the Arc so I still unfortunately only get PCM 2.0 audio.
Thinking about changing TV. Anyone can confirm if you get surround from a Nintendo Switch with an LG GX / CX TV and a SONOS Arc together?

yes that becomes the last hurdle for some people - not all TV allow lpcm pass through, so you will need to use an AVR or a new TV. If I recall correctly the ARC only has a single hdmi port and so it means all sound has to pass through the TV so you will now be limited by what your TV can pass through.

I need to update my signature, I have an lg OLED tv now - lg released a software update this year, all lg TV made

from April 2019 now support LPCM pass through 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Maybe try uninstalling the Sonos app on your Mac then install afresh from the Sonos Support website? Make sure you select to connect to existing system. 

Thanks.  I did the uninstall and then did a fresh install of 12.2.  It worked fine.  I then checked for updates and it updated my hardware.

I have a question regarding what I can gain from this update.  The only Sonos product I have is an Amp.  I have 2 speakers wired to it and my Sony X800H TV hooked up to it.  I only use it to listen to 2.0 stereo though the TV and from my Mac.  Does this update help me in any way?  Thanks again.

Edit: Also, will this version work with Big Sur that is coming out on Thursday?

Will this LPCM software update assist in getting DTS from a 4K UHD blu ray player? I just ordered the Arc and my tv will have an eArc port. I don’t have a 4K UHD blu ray player yet.  If this update helps with DTS, is there something specific I should be looking for in the blu ray player before I buy it? Anything specific on the tv end?

Will this LPCM software update assist in getting DTS from a 4K UHD blu ray player? I just ordered the Arc and my tv will have an eArc port. I don’t have a 4K UHD blu ray player yet.  If this update helps with DTS, is there something specific I should be looking for in the blu ray player before I buy it? Anything specific on the tv end?

Sonos still doesn’t support DTS and probably never will. So if you can find a BRP that transcodes DTS to DD5.1 that would be a useful feature.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If the Bluray Player can decode DTS (HD) and output it as Multichannel PCM, you are fine. That is one of the advantages. The sound system doesn’t have to take care of decoding the audio and therefore doesn’t need any licenses. 

Userlevel 7

Most Blu-ray players can convert DTS to PCM. I have a Sonos Arc and I have set my Panasonic 4K UHD player to convert DTS to PCM and am now getting multi-channel LPCM audio from all of my DTS-HD Master Audio-encoded Blu-ray discs. And lossless LPCM sounds just as good as lossless DTS.

Most Blu-ray players can convert DTS to PCM. I have a Sonos Arc and I have set my Panasonic 4K UHD player to convert DTS to PCM and am now getting multi-channel LPCM audio from all of my DTS-HD Master Audio-encoded Blu-ray discs. And lossless LPCM is just as good as lossless DTS.

Thanks for the reply. Which Panasonic model do you have? Do you still hook it up via the hdmi cable?

Userlevel 7

Most Blu-ray players can convert DTS to PCM. I have a Sonos Arc and I have set my Panasonic 4K UHD player to convert DTS to PCM and am now getting multi-channel LPCM audio from all of my DTS-HD Master Audio-encoded Blu-ray discs. And lossless LPCM is just as good as lossless DTS.

Thanks for the reply. Which Panasonic model do you have? Do you still hook it up via the hdmi cable?

I have the Panasonic DP-UB820. I have it connected via HDMI to an HD Fury Arcana and then to the Sonos Arc because I have an older TV with just HDMI ARC.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi there,
I am a new Arc owner and got this update today (12.2), Hardware version 1.17.1.7-1.2

I have an LG OLED65CXPUA TV and an Apple TV 4K.

I just watched “The Right Stuff” on Disney+ through my AppleTV 4K, and then when I was done pressed “menu” until I got to the home screen and went to “youtube TV” the audio was going in and out in a pattern, like 1 second on, 1 second off. 

I tried the old “go in settings on the ATV4K and switch to 5.1” but I still had the issue. I ended up pulling the plug on the Apple TV 4K and then got regular sound again. 

My Apple TV 4K is outputting to “TV” because that’s the only option, and I assume that goes over eARC? I don’t see any “output to soundbar” option.

The LG is sending “passthrough” audio. I’m not sure if there are other settings I should be checking. Any help appreciated!

I’m so happy that I can finally use my HTPC and Switch in surround sound with my Sonos setup. Thank you guys very much for making this happen.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Big thank you to Sonos!

because of this update I went and bought an arc today and I love it.

Im now able to get 5.1 lpcm and Atmos from my PC games, Nintendo Switch games, PS4 and PS5, also Netflix.

Basically everything is now surround sound and working, I've been waiting a long time for this - no longer do I have to swap cables multiple times a day and use a soundcard to encode Dolby - everything just works with zero hassle like it should.

for a score, I'm giving the arc 9/10

I can't give it a 10 because I only have one complaint. My ceilings are 10ft high and I'm struggling to hear the overhead Atmos effects. I've put my ears next to the speakers for each channel and found the height channels don't sound any louder than any other which I found odd. I thought that the height channel would be louder due to the extra travel distance and having to bounce off the ceiling. To resolve this issue I need to be able to boost the volume to just the height channel speakers but the Sono S2 phone app does not have the option of doing this.

So Sonos, to make the Arc perfect please allow us to adjust the height channel volume like you do for the surrounds. Thanks 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I doubt that you get Atmos when you have set all output to Multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is not Atmos (5.1.2), but the classic 7.1 layout.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I doubt that you get Atmos when you have set all output to Multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM 7.1 is not Atmos (5.1.2), but the classic 7.1 layout.

Ive tested Atmos sound using Netflix app on the TV and matching movie with Atmos output and Sonos app shows Atmos input. The overhead affects are still quiet due to my high ceiling.

for the PC, I'm using an app called Dolby Atmos Access for Home Theatre, it encodes PC sound output into Atmos 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Good news , thanks Sonos.

I have a question, I have my oppo203 set to bitstream, previously when I watched a bluray with DTS it would output as stereo 2.0.

Does this update mean that instead I will get something else other than stereo 2.0?

Or do I need to change a setting still on my oppo203.

Thanks.

On a side note does this update contain any other fixes?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Ive tested Atmos sound using Netflix app on the TV and matching movie with Atmos output and Sonos app shows Atmos input. The overhead affects are still quiet due to my high ceiling.

for the PC, I'm using an app called Dolby Atmos Access for Home Theatre, it encodes PC sound output into Atmos 

Ah ok, I have misunderstood you then. I thought you are only putting out Multichannel PCM. For the height effects I also had to tinker around a bit to find the sweet spot. This video helped me a lot: 

I would also advise to use Atmos demo video when you want to calibrate your system, because they have usually more audible height channels.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Ah ok, I have misunderstood you then. I thought you are only putting out Multichannel PCM. For the height effects I also had to tinker around a bit to find the sweet spot. This video helped me a lot: 

I would also advise to use Atmos demo video when you want to calibrate your system, because they have usually more audible height channels.

Thanks that video is very helpful, I will change the placement slightly and retune it