Low Vocal Clarity on Beam During Live TV Music Performances? – in a Surround SetUp with 2 Play-1s

• 22 April 2021
  • 2 replies

I absolutely love my current Beam + 2 Play-1 surround setup, and have gotten proficient with the available EQ, TruePlay, Speech Enhancement options. My only issue has been when watching live television musical performances where the singer(s)' vocals are far less clear and muddled with higher musical instrument and crowd cheering sounds. I recall during the Grammys and the lile tinkering with the TV EQ bass/treble volume levels on-the-fly and the speech enhancement option but this approach is very inconvenient and wasn't ideal. It kind of ruined an otherwise pleasant surround sound TV experience. Am I doing something wrong? Could this be a new feature for live tv musical performance vocal enhancement?

I also have two One SLs in other rooms. Should I switch out the Play-1s for the SLs?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Switching to the One SLs won’t make any difference.

Do you happen to keep Night Sound on? Have you tried redoing Trueplay tuning?

Sometimes the problem is just a poor audio mix and there isn’t much you can do to fix that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Several folks have asked for additional control of the center channel on the Beam and Arc so they can at a minimum add volume to help vocals stand out.

We find Speech Enhancement and Night Mode both help. Tweaking the tone controls and Loudness not so much.