Answered

Loud popping sound from Arc setup

• 17 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 80 replies

Yesterday when I turned on the TV, there was a loud pop from either the Arc or the Sub.  This morning, after the TV was on for about 30 min, the left surround popped in the same way.  I grabbed a diagnostic as quick as I could after the pop, but not sure why this started all of the sudden.  Update went through two days ago to 14.0.4

Diagnostic is 1674648960

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 November 2023, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Known issue with any Atmos content. Sonos support recommended turning off Atmos until they find a fix. It’s been almost a month now 😞

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thank you for your reply.  This morning, I was watching YouTubeTV so it was Stereo PCM. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @khaz22 

Thanks for your post!

I think there’s an issue with the input to the Arc - the Arc’s logs are full of rapid lost signal notifications.

Please unplug your TV from power for about 2 minutes, then plug back in and test. While the TV is off, please reseat the HDMI cable at both ends.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I will try that, thank you.

We have a new remote for Apple TV, and it is showing lost connection, and then reconnects.  Could this be the lost signal you are seeing?  It is set to IR through TV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @khaz22 

We have a new remote for Apple TV, and it is showing lost connection, and then reconnects.  Could this be the lost signal you are seeing?  It is set to IR through TV.

In short, no.

IR is a one-way transmission, however, so I don’t see how a lost connection could be reported - the remote is much more likely to be using Bluetooth. If it has voice control or a mouse mode, then it’s definitely Bluetooth/Radio and not IR. I’m not familiar with the remote, however - perhaps it does both at the same time. Either way, it won’t be the root cause of the issue you’re reporting.

If there’s an issue with the Apple TV itself, however, it might manifest in both the remote’s connection and the stability of the signal going to the TV, and thus to the Arc. Try a reboot of the Apple TV box too.

Edit: I suppose if the remote was causing system instability on the Apple TV, for whatever reason, it could be the cause of the issue on the Arc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @khaz22 

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

If you have any questions, please post them on the main related thread and I’ll do my best to answer them.

This thread will be closed to keep all queries in that one place.