Loud Cracking and high pitch sound while watching TV

• 23 September 2020
  • 10 replies

When watching Netflix on my Sony tv, randomly the Sonos speakers will start making very load high pitch and crackling sounds. The only way to stop it is to turn everything off.

Diagnostic: 1494543837

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @joee140.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Since it's very inconvenient for you to get this kind of issue especially when you're watching your TV.

Are you just having this kind of issue when watching Netflix, how about other platforms like regular tv stations, Youtube, etc.

With crackling sounds, I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I noticed it on Amazon as well, but haven’t on regular tv. It’s crackling and high pitch very loud noises. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @joee140.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

One other thing before you contact our phone support team.

Can you try to unplug the cable connected from the soundbar to your tv for 10sec then plug back in, make sure also it's properly plugin on both ends.

If the issue still continues our customer phone support needs to talk to you personally.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I’ll check that out when I go home and see how things go. It’s random when it happens so I’ll give it a few days and see if it happens again. 

curious if you are able to access the diagnostic that I ran and see anything? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @joee140.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Yes, I was able to access the diagnostic report you submitted, and clearly theirs no issue that is connected to high pitch and crackling sounds.

Just to save you some time also, if you haven't tried to factory data reset your playback please do it first, reason behind the reset is we just want to see if this might be a hardware or software issue.

Please try that first and let us know if it fixes the issue.

If all-out fails then the hotline will be your best option to resolve this issue.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Sorry forgot to do the factory reset and the crazy noise just came back. Is the recommendation to do the reset on the tv or the sonos?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @joee140.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support this might be a hardware issue and need to check if the device is still within the warranty.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Is it possible to post a video of the sound it’s making? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @joee140.

When you call the hotline you will be asked to submit a video as proof that it's making that crackling sound.

If this is a defective device already they can still check if your speaker is still within the warranty.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know

I’ve been having the same problem for over a year now. 
only with Netflix. Need help