Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

So the release notes have dropped:

In this update:

• Improvements around delayed audio with home theater surrounds and Subs, as well as audio dropouts due to delayed audio.
  • Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

the fact that they specifically called it out gives me hope

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yep all good so far. Added tru play and everything is as it should be. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Interesting ........ Just had to take off and put back on SVC on my Beam Gen 2. Only noticed as I use it to turn on the TV now and when I went to do that 5 mins ago, nothing happened and the light didn't do it's little flash thing when I said Hey Sonos. So I took it off and put it back on in the app and it's ok now. I have not had the issue in this thread given I have a Beam but maybe this suggests they have done something to the HT set ups as they've said? 

How I "think" the echo started, and how I fixed it

We had the echo in our Arc + Sub + 1's x two for surround to create a 5.1 Dolby Atmos set up. Like many others the echo kind of started, but I could not pinpoint a reason. We did a ton of things, including upgrading our ATT router (the arc is connected by lan and our wifi is an Orbi whole home system), which honestly sort of fixed the echo for a good while.

BUT we got the echo back when we pushed content using Chrome cast. We have an Apple TV4k and iOs devices so we always try to mirror/use Apple to push content from a phone. Well, YouTube and Facebook both won't let you push with Apple/Mirror. I assume Youtube does this because they own ChromeCast and Facebook does it cause they want you captive on their platform. Anyway, when we went to push, it borked a bunch of times and SPECIFICALLY started playing audio super loud through the surround 1's then froze. We tried a few more times before finally getting it set up correctly. But then we had not only a single echo, but a double echo. Each of the surrounds we're off, one by 1 second the other by 2 seconds. The navigation beeps on streaming services alone drove me nuts. So, I disconnected the surrounds (something others have said is a fix) and this did fix my issue. But here's a weird bit, when disconnecting the surrounds they each had a different "group or room" which is strange cause I only have one Living Room. In the menu/system it only showed "living room" but when disconnecting the first surround I got a message "disconnect from "Living room 1" & when disconnecting the second surround it said "Living room 2". I disconnected both, then reconnected them to the only Living room available and viola all was well instantly. I did have to redo the TruePlay tuning to get that turned on, but it sounds like it's supposed to with no echo or weirdness.

Of course, there would be an echo if each surround was on a separate but duplicate "room."

I still contend that this is an issue on Sono's side (how does using ChromeCast create duplicate rooms?)

TL:DR Using ChromeCast to push content from Youtube or Facebook appeared to create the echo effect. Disconnecting surround speakers solved it, & when disconnecting the system showed duplicate living rooms

Userlevel 2
Badge

So far so good, but last update it didn’t show up right away.

So the release notes have dropped:

In this update:

• Improvements around delayed audio with home theater surrounds and Subs, as well as audio dropouts due to delayed audio.
  • Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

Hopefully with them specifically calling it out it’s actually fixed. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

How I "think" the echo started, and how I fixed it

We had the echo in our Arc + Sub + 1's x two for surround to create a 5.1 Dolby Atmos set up. Like many others the echo kind of started, but I could not pinpoint a reason. We did a ton of things, including upgrading our ATT router (the arc is connected by lan and our wifi is an Orbi whole home system), which honestly sort of fixed the echo for a good while.

BUT we got the echo back when we pushed content using Chrome cast. We have an Apple TV4k and iOs devices so we always try to mirror/use Apple to push content from a phone. Well, YouTube and Facebook both won't let you push with Apple/Mirror. I assume Youtube does this because they own ChromeCast and Facebook does it cause they want you captive on their platform. Anyway, when we went to push, it borked a bunch of times and SPECIFICALLY started playing audio super loud through the surround 1's then froze. We tried a few more times before finally getting it set up correctly. But then we had not only a single echo, but a double echo. Each of the surrounds we're off, one by 1 second the other by 2 seconds. The navigation beeps on streaming services alone drove me nuts. So, I disconnected the surrounds (something others have said is a fix) and this did fix my issue. But here's a weird bit, when disconnecting the surrounds they each had a different "group or room" which is strange cause I only have one Living Room. In the menu/system it only showed "living room" but when disconnecting the first surround I got a message "disconnect from "Living room 1" & when disconnecting the second surround it said "Living room 2". I disconnected both, then reconnected them to the only Living room available and viola all was well instantly. I did have to redo the TruePlay tuning to get that turned on, but it sounds like it's supposed to with no echo or weirdness.

Of course, there would be an echo if each surround was on a separate but duplicate "room."

I still contend that this is an issue on Sono's side (how does using ChromeCast create duplicate rooms?)

TL:DR Using ChromeCast to push content from Youtube or Facebook appeared to create the echo effect. Disconnecting surround speakers solved it, & when disconnecting the system showed duplicate living rooms

I think it could be that the act of disconnecting is what created the living room 1 and 2 room names. It has to put them somewhere and probably just creates a new room when you disconnect by adding an incremental suffix to the room they were already in. Maybe I’m wrong though

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m overjoyed this could be fixed now, but seriously shocked Sonos weren’t more transparent that they were working on a fix. They last told us specifically they couldn’t replicate the issue. Certainly a bitter taste in my mouth after this. Fingers crossed.

I think it could be that the act of disconnecting is what created the living room 1 and 2 room names. It has to put them somewhere and probably just creates a new room when you disconnect by adding an incremental suffix to the room they were already in. Maybe I’m wrong though

You’re correct, when bonding surrounds that have just been added to a system, they take on the room name with the incremental suffix. Which are revealed when the user unbonds them - I don’t see that as being the likely cause of an echo.

You can of course rename them now they are separate. In my own use-case I just change the suffix to ‘L’ and ‘R’ to identify which one is the left and right surround speaker.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I’m overjoyed this could be fixed now, but seriously shocked Sonos weren’t more transparent that they were working on a fix. They last told us specifically they couldn’t replicate the issue. Certainly a bitter taste in my mouth after this. Fingers crossed.

Gonna focus on the positive myself but yeah, certainly room to be critical of Sonos’ handling

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

if this is truly fixed I will be thrilled. I hope you’ll all join me in the support group I’ll create for “people who always touch their subwoofer when walking by it to make sure its working”

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

if this is truly fixed I will be thrilled. I hope you’ll all join me in the support group I’ll create for “people who always touch their subwoofer when walking by it to make sure its working”

And get together every June 21st for the reunion?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m glad to see that Sonos finally apparently fixed this issue. But in my opinion this was a colossal failure in terms of communication from Sonos. Nobody should have to go 2 months with barely any confirmation or real communication over such a widespread issue.

I managed to refund my Sonos Arc + 2 Subs while this was going on thankfully, and I’m very hesitant to rebuy the system due to the way Sonos handled this bug. Hopefully there is some compensation involved for everyone who spent every day documenting this issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Crossing my fingers that this is actually fixed. Will test when I get home. I’ve been a long time Sonos customer and was very disappointed at the lack of transparency from Sonos around this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I still want an apology and a $50 gift card

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Updated software and now everything is showing as playing Stereo PCM (as opposed to Dolby Digital +) via AppleTV 4K. Anyone any ideas how to fix? I previously used to play Dolby Digital + no bother. 

I can only get regular Dolby 5.1 to play by setting audio mode to ‘16bit’ and Change Format ‘On’ and to ‘Dolby 5.1’ on the AppleTV. Changing either of those settings causes it to just play Stereo PCM.

Sony Bravia TV audio output settings are set to a/v sync  ‘auto’, digital audio out ‘auto 1’ and Dolby digital plus output ‘Dolby digital plus’ (also audio system prioritisation ‘on’ and sound mode sync ‘on’). TV is Sony BRAVIA KD-55XE9305 HDR 4K TV. NB: this is an ARC connection, not eARC, and Dolby + is the best format I can get. 

Updated software and now everything is showing as playing SterEo PCM (as opposed to Dolby) via AppleTV 4K, anyone any ideas how to fix?

What make/model of TV is it? What are the sound-out settings set to on both ATV and the TV …and what audio source are you playing?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Apple 

Updated software and now everything is showing as playing Stereo PCM (as opposed to Dolby Digital +) via AppleTV 4K. Anyone any ideas how to fix? I previously used to play Dolby Digital + no bother. 

I can only get regular Dolby 5.1 to play by setting audio mode to ‘16bit’ and Change Format ‘On’ and to ‘Dolby 5.1’ on the AppleTV. Changing either of those settings causes it to just play Stereo PCM.

Sony Bravia TV audio output settings are set to a/v sync  ‘auto’, digital audio out ‘auto 1’ and Dolby digital plus output ‘Dolby digital plus’ (also audio system prioritisation ‘on’ and sound mode sync ‘on’). TV is Sony BRAVIA KD-55XE9305 HDR 4K TV. NB: this is an ARC connection, not eARC, and Dolby + is the best format I can get. 

Apple TV 4K must have an earc connection for atmos

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

You can get dolby atmos (dd+) on arc just not lossless atmos 

I have it on my lgb8 tv see below 

Depends on tv allowing it on pass through 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks but yeah, I’m not referring to Atmos, just Dolby Digital + (which my TV supports). I can’t seem to get it to activate beyond Dolby Digital 5.1 though since the update … strange

Thanks but yeah, I’m not referring to Atmos, just Dolby Digital + (which my TV supports). I can’t seem to get it to activate beyond Dolby Digital 5.1 though since the update … strange

When I look quickly online I can only find that the KD-55XE9305 supports DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 - are you sure it supports Dolby Digital Plus?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

When I look quickly online I can only find that the KD-55XE9305 supports DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 - are you sure it supports Dolby Digital Plus?

Yup:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xe9305/specifications

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Apple TV doesn’t really do DD+. For DD+ content, it decodes using Dolby Mat and outputs multichannel PCM if your system can support. If you were seeing DD+ in the Sonos app when playing content from Apple TV, your tv was likely set to re-encode whatever it was receiving to DD+. On my LG C1, setting audio output to ‘auto’ instead of ‘passthrough’ or ‘pcm’ results in this re-encoding. If you’re not getting what you’d expect I would look at your tv settings further. 

Yup:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xe9305/specifications

I seem to think with Apple TV 4K that DD+ (without Atmos) is only available via the uncompressed multichannel LPCM codec which Apple use by default, sadly you cannot use that format, as it requires HDMI eARC support and so the fallback is Dolby Digital 5.1.

So those are my thoughts that you may need to select the DD5.1 codec instead with the Apple TV 4K. I’m sure others here will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the recent Sonos update by the way.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Everyone still good? Any dropouts after 14.10?