Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Ken_Griffiths thanks for your response. I was struggling with the message nesting on my phone so I’m not replying directly. Thanks also for your troubleshooting suggestions along the way. I could see how from the outside looking in this thing could look disjointed. There have certainly been users posting things that don’t feel related. But I assure there’s a very specific set of behaviour and I’d say at least 80% of users posting here have this thing. My real concern is that Sonos still seems to be treating each of our cases in isolation and sending everyone new through the support front door. I’d feel a lot better if I knew an internal team had been assigned to investigate and that our reports and diagnostics were being pooled. If you have any suggestions on how to make that happen, I’d love to hear. 

@Freddy45764,

These are just my thoughts on the matter…

If each individual case here is reported and looked at in some depth by Sonos engineers, then you would hope from that on-going process, that lessons were being learned and passed up the line to the Sonos developers to try to resolve the issues via software/firmware updates. Any fixes, after internal testing, are rolled out and if successful, they should eventually reduce the calls into Support, probably a process that continues until the majority of issues are eradicated.

I think issues like these, can occasionally take a while to fix, particularly if the problems seen vary and are maybe being caused by several ‘internal’/ ‘external’ factors like a particular ‘codec’ for example, and/or a piece of hardware like an HDMI port (also just as an example) that is perhaps being used by some TV manufacturers and requires change to its firmware, or even a combination of things that may involve time and input between partners. 

Without knowing any detail, or precise causes at this moment in time, I still think it’s best to perhaps encourage others to try to demonstrate (reproduce) their HT surround-dropout issue to Sonos Support Staff and provide them with the diagnostic data they may require to pass on and hopefully get the issue fixed as quickly as practicable.

I did fear at one point that some users were popping by this thread and commenting they had the issue, but without actually contributing, by submitting their own diagnostics and contacting Support.

Anyhow we haven’t seen that many Sonos updates since the issue was first reported here and I suspect what minor updates we have seen, were perhaps more geared towards the launch of Sonos Ray and SVC, so I suspect any investigation into these issues are ‘likely’ still ongoing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Freddy45764,

These are just my thoughts on the matter…

If each individual case here is reported and looked at in some depth by Sonos engineers, then you would hope from that on-going process, that lessons were being learned and passed up the line to the Sonos developers to try to resolve the issues via software/firmware updates. Any fixes, after internal testing, are rolled out and if successful, they should eventually reduce the calls into Support, probably a process that continues until the majority of issues are eradicated.

I think issues like these, can occasionally take a while to fix, particularly if the problems seen vary and are maybe being caused by several ‘internal’/ ‘external’ factors like a particular ‘codec’ for example, and/or a piece of hardware like an HDMI port (also just as an example) that is perhaps being used by some TV manufacturers and requires change to its firmware, or even a combination of things that may involve time and input between partners. 

Without knowing any detail, or precise causes at this moment in time, I still think it’s best to perhaps encourage others to try to demonstrate (reproduce) their HT surround-dropout issue to Sonos Support Staff and provide them with the diagnostic data they may require to pass on and hopefully get the issue fixed as quickly as practicable.

I did fear at one point that some users were popping by this thread and commenting they had the issue, but without actually contributing, by submitting their own diagnostics and contacting Support.

Anyhow we haven’t seen that many Sonos updates since the issue was first reported here and I suspect what minor updates we have seen, were perhaps more geared towards the launch of Sonos Ray and SVC, so I suspect any investigation into these issues are ‘likely’ still ongoing.

Yes all good points. I also suspect it takes some time to fix something like this and hope Sonos are doing as you say behind the scenes. I think it’s really the “case by case” comment from Sonos support that has us worried and frustrated. 

I got an Arc with 2 Symfonisk rears 2 days ago, and I’m also having frequent issues with the rears disconnecting. I’ve had contact with the support multiple times since then, tried all of their suggestions including removing Wi-Fi devices near the Arc (including the router itself), changing Wi-Fi channels, activating SonosNet, changing the SonosNet channel and rebooting the devices.

Usually rebooting the Arc fixes the issue temporarily, sometimes it repairs itself after a while. Once it only stopped for a minute or so: I stopped the movie playback after the issue started and resumed it shortly after. I’ve been able to play some movies (2h +) & episodes without issues. Most of the time the issue seems to occur when starting a new film. Might be coincidence, though. I’ve also had the issue come and go during a single playback other times (thus far only using Wi-Fi instead of SonosNet). Playing music didn’t fix the issue for me, like others have suggested, but I haven’t tried it that often yet.

I’ve contacted the support with at least 5 diagnostics, and they always tell me it’s due to Wi-Fi interference. They’ve also told me that it’s not a common issue when this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

I’ve had a Sony 5.1 system with wireless rears & sub before, which never had any such issues. I also don’t have any other Wi-Fi issues. It seems to me, if it actually is an interference issue, that Sonos devices are way more sensitive to it than other devices.

What might also be interesting to note is that the pause & volume buttons of the rears always keep working even when the sound stops on them.

Finding this thread I feel relief that I’m not alone in this and reading that some people where able to get to talk to makes me feel more hopeful. I was already considering returning the Arc, but I’ll wait a bit more and hope for the best 🙌. It would’ve been so much more transparent & helpful if the Sonos support would’ve told me it’s a known issue.

If i had the chance to return my equipment i would 100% do it. Seeing how poor Sonos support and communications has been about this issue, i would not wait and hope for the best. I would return and buy another brand.

The only thing preventing me from selling my Arc + Sub + Ones on Facebook Marketplace is the guilt of selling a faulty system.

Sending diagnostics, changing the wifi channel, wiring, unwiring, connect, disconnect, plug unplug, none of this works, although i admire the dedication of everyone on this forum to try to find a solution by ourselves.

My advice is return if possible. If you haven’t already bought, then avoid. Never buying Sonos again, and of course telling all my friends and family about this.

6 days ago I tried installing the Sonos Voice Control as that seemed to help some people here. I've left it on my Arc and both rear speakers for good measure and it has worked pretty great so far. Not a single full loss of the sub or surround speakers so far.

The few only interruptions I'm getting seem to come from the mics picking up audio from the content I'm playing and interpreting it as the "hey Sonos" command, which lowers the volume for like 1-2 seconds. I've even heard the system answer "Yes?" one time, without me even saying anything. Was this behaviour normal before 14.6? 

In any case, it works much better now, but hopefully there's an official fix in the works that doesn't involve the voice assistant. 

Userlevel 1

14.10 was released (app and firmware) but no release notes yet. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I got an Arc with 2 Symfonisk rears 2 days ago, and I’m also having frequent issues with the rears disconnecting. I’ve had contact with the support multiple times since then, tried all of their suggestions including removing Wi-Fi devices near the Arc (including the router itself), changing Wi-Fi channels, activating SonosNet, changing the SonosNet channel and rebooting the devices.

Usually rebooting the Arc fixes the issue temporarily, sometimes it repairs itself after a while. Once it only stopped for a minute or so: I stopped the movie playback after the issue started and resumed it shortly after. I’ve been able to play some movies (2h +) & episodes without issues. Most of the time the issue seems to occur when starting a new film. Might be coincidence, though. I’ve also had the issue come and go during a single playback other times (thus far only using Wi-Fi instead of SonosNet). Playing music didn’t fix the issue for me, like others have suggested, but I haven’t tried it that often yet.

I’ve contacted the support with at least 5 diagnostics, and they always tell me it’s due to Wi-Fi interference. They’ve also told me that it’s not a common issue when this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

I’ve had a Sony 5.1 system with wireless rears & sub before, which never had any such issues. I also don’t have any other Wi-Fi issues. It seems to me, if it actually is an interference issue, that Sonos devices are way more sensitive to it than other devices.

What might also be interesting to note is that the pause & volume buttons of the rears always keep working even when the sound stops on them.

Finding this thread I feel relief that I’m not alone in this and reading that some people where able to get to talk to makes me feel more hopeful. I was already considering returning the Arc, but I’ll wait a bit more and hope for the best 🙌. It would’ve been so much more transparent & helpful if the Sonos support would’ve told me it’s a known issue.

If i had the chance to return my equipment i would 100% do it. Seeing how poor Sonos support and communications has been about this issue, i would not wait and hope for the best. I would return and buy another brand.

The only thing preventing me from selling my Arc + Sub + Ones on Facebook Marketplace is the guilt of selling a faulty system.

Sending diagnostics, changing the wifi channel, wiring, unwiring, connect, disconnect, plug unplug, none of this works, although i admire the dedication of everyone on this forum to try to find a solution by ourselves.

My advice is return if possible. If you haven’t already bought, then avoid. Never buying Sonos again, and of course telling all my friends and family about this.

Before you do plan to sell it off, please post it on Twitter or social media handles. Why should we suffer a loss here? The OEM needs to own and fix the problem. 64 days since people on this forum and few others on Facebook and Reddit are affected by this and all Sonos does is turn a deaf ear to the concerns while they are busy rolling new products. @Corry P @Sonos this can’t continue like this. Please roll the affected users back to 14.5.9 or whatever was less than 14.6 and I will disable my auto updates forever. I don’t care about new features you have introduced in the app, at the very least I was able to use my HT speakers..

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Firmware 14.10 is out. Updating now. Fingers crossed...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Downloading 14.10 also.. Here’s hoping..

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

So far it's stable lol

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So far it's stable lol

Yeah....we have all sang the "so far" anthem once too many. In all seriousness though,  keep us updated. I have to wait till I get home. If you know the trigger points to initiate the drops, would you be willing to test a few out for us?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Release notes on iOS say bug fixes and performance improvements. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

So far it's stable lol

Yeah....we have all sang the "so far" anthem once too many. In all seriousness though,  keep us updated. I have to wait till I get home. If you know the trigger points to initiate the drops, would you be willing to test a few out for us?

I’ve just been putting it through its paces by throwing several high bitrate files at it, Dolby Vision, TrueHD Atmos etc, as that was where I personally was noticing the most problems, certainly since the Voice Control update, and it’s holding up. I could usually trigger the issue this way beforehand. PCM and AC3/EAC3 no problems either as of yet. 

Unless we hear something definitive from Sonos, the acid test of course will be over the next few days but it’s a positive start..

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

don’t give me hope

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Thats code for "we admit nothing"

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thats code for "we admit nothing"

Agreed. It goes in every release notes from every company for every update. The fact that there are no new features though is maybe a positive that this release is more focused on bug fixes. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yep currently switching between inputs and and sound formats and so far so good. But let's give it a day or 6 before we fully relax. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

As I added a new input device and discovered that my new Panasonic 820 is so much better than my xbox at playing blurays and 4k blurays I will have to watch all my collection so if it doesn't break after that it's all good 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Was just playing music on my move. Just linked it to the Arc mid song.....no base. 14.10. Nope

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yep currently switching between inputs and and sound formats and so far so good. But let's give it a day or 6 before we fully relax.

If this actually is a fix, I wonder how long until I stop putting my ear up to a surround or putting my hand on my sub whenever I walk past and actually trust it haha

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Was just playing music on my move. Just linked it to the Arc mid song.....no base. 14.10. Nope

Well, so with this uodate, if I am listening to music on the Move then link in the Arc, no sub. But if I do that I reverse, the sub is there.

Badge

If this actually is a fix, I wonder how long until I stop putting my ear up to a surround or putting my hand on my sub whenever I walk past and actually trust it haha

Haha, I was thinking exactly the same thing!!!

Badge

Ok, so I updated my iOS app and am now updating my speakers…..fingers crossed!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Well, so with this uodate, if I am listening to music on the Move then link in the Arc, no sub. But if I do that I reverse, the sub is there.

@Missionsparta have you been getting dropouts on just the home theatre system alone or has it only been when a portable speaker is introduced into the mix for you?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@Missionsparta have you been getting dropouts on just the home theatre system alone or has it only been when a portable speaker is introduced into the mix for you?

No. I've been getting g sub drop outs on the Arc with video feed. Never had an issue with music. So far, it's tight with the Apple TV and the Arc. Keep our fingers crossed, but I'm not happy about this new issue. The reason I went hea y into Sonos and picked it over everythingbelsenwas their stable track record....I feel duped.

Update: just rebooted the system. Before the reboot I reproduced it three times. Not happening now. Let's just hope that's all it needed...to all those hoping this uodate is finally the fix we needed, godspeed.