List of TV’s that will pass 5.1 from HDMI Sources to Playbar

Userlevel 2
All,
Would you mind listing your TV and mode/year in this thread if you have tested it and confirmed it will pass DD 5.1 to the Playbar and from what source. This will help those of us in the market for a new TV and playbar.

Thanks

MikeB.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

370 replies

Userlevel 2
I hooked my playbar directly to an apple tv 3 and PS3 optical in plugged via hdmi to a panasonic viera thl32 directly and all I can get is 'stereo'. Without a sub and 2 play 3's I don't see how you are expecting 5.1. And even so, we will get a 'simulated' 5.1...
Userlevel 2
Check and see if your Apple TV sound setting is set to Auto. If so, change to Dolby and your TV may well receive it and send it on over the optical. My Samsung was receiving stereo from the Apple TV until I made this change. Now my Playbar gets Dolby 5.1 over optical from Samsung via HDMI from Apple TV.
Can we start populating this thread with known valid sets passing 5.1 from HDMI? I would love to get some confirmation of supported sets. I am sure many others as well.
I think that this would be a good idea, but I worry about the quality and timelyness of the data submitted. A simple claim that, "my [mfr] set works", is not very useful.

We would need:
Mfr
Exact model number
firmware level
Number of inputs and type
Number of outputs and type
How is audio passed from HDMI inputs to TOSLINK? PCM stereo? 5.1? DTS --> PCM Stereo?
Are analog audio inputs passed through to TOSLINK?
Is audio from IP streaming (if any) passed through as PCM stereo? 5.1?
Can the TV's speakers be switched OFF? If switched OFF are there any annoying on screen messages when a TV IR volume command is received?

And, we would need the submitter to accept "ownership" of this data, respond to challenges about its accuracy, and follow up to report issues created and resolved after a (TV or SONOS) firmware update.

There would need to be sufficient disclaimers to protect SONOS from liability.

---

Maintaining the database could consume someone's free time. At minimum there should be a data submission form that would collect and format the data. A well done form would update the database automatically.

Potentially, a user could donate server space and host the database.
Userlevel 2
Check and see if your Apple TV sound setting is set to Auto. If so, change to Dolby and your TV may well receive it and send it on over the optical. My Samsung was receiving stereo from the Apple TV until I made this change. Now my Playbar gets Dolby 5.1 over optical from Samsung via HDMI from Apple TV.

You are referring to the "Dolby" option under "Audio" in settings?
If so, I tried that, Samsung TV (LN55B650), and still just stereo.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Based off our testing, these models are able to pass 5.1 through the Optical Out of the TV.

• LG 55LX9500
  • Samsung PN43D490
  • Samsung UN55C6500VF
  • Sony 46EX400
  • Sony KDL32EX400
  • Sony KDL46EX400
  • Sony KDL55EX500
  • Sony KDL xxNX800/KDL-xxNX810
  • Vizio XVT3D554SV

These have worked with external components such as, Bluray, Apple TV and Cable boxes.
Userlevel 2
Thank you. This is a really helpful post. Much appreciated.
Userlevel 2
Philips 55PFL8007 works with 5.1 pass through with input from AppleTV and DVB-S receiver
Userlevel 2
My Loewe 40 Individual passes DD5.1 via optical to my Sonos Playbar, I am very impressed with the sound on both movies/TV and music.
Can anyone confirm any of the Vizio e60 or e70 sets passing 5.1 successfully?

Severum
Based off our testing, these models are able to pass 5.1 through the Optical Out of the TV.

• LG 55LX9500
  • Samsung PN43D490
  • Samsung UN55C6500VF
  • Sony 46EX400
  • Sony KDL32EX400
  • Sony KDL46EX400
  • Sony KDL55EX500
  • Vizio XVT3D554SV

These have worked with external components such as, Bluray, Apple TV and Cable boxes.

I would imagine that the 60" versions of these tv's would work as well.
Userlevel 2
I urge anyone looking to make this work who intends on connecting their sources to the tv HDMI try this IN STORE. It doesn't work. It didn't on one of the above Sony models. We tried for 2 hours. No good. Until I find a grey market HDMI stripper, I'm stuck with dumbed up audio.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not only does my Vintage 2008 Sony KDL40S4100 not pass any HDMI audio thru the optical, but HDMI 2 & 3 don't handle HDMI from my Roku box properly. I've always used an AVR, so I've just used HDMI 1. But I'm on a mission to get rid of the AVR, and only found these quirks when I rewired without the AVR. I've ordered a new TV that MagnoliaAV promises will have no limitations, but won't be able to test until Wednesday
Userlevel 2
Not only does my Vintage 2008 Sony KDL40S4100 not pass any HDMI audio thru the optical, but HDMI 2 & 3 don't handle HDMI from my Roku box properly. I've always used an AVR, so I've just used HDMI 1. But I'm on a mission to get rid of the AVR, and only found these quirks when I rewired without the AVR. I've ordered a new TV that MagnoliaAV promises will have no limitations, but won't be able to test until Wednesday

be sure to test it IN STORE like I did. Sony AND Sonos tech support swore on a stack of bibles the Sony TV would work and it didn't. The specs say it'll pass 5.1, but it passes 5.1 from either its tuner or at best component. Im fairly certain without illegally stripping the HDMI signal, you can forget optical 5.1.
Badge
be sure to test it IN STORE like I did. Sony AND Sonos tech support swore on a stack of bibles the Sony TV would work and it didn't. The specs say it'll pass 5.1, but it passes 5.1 from either its tuner or at best component. Im fairly certain without illegally stripping the HDMI signal, you can forget optical 5.1.

I'm having good luck with an HDMI switch that outputs 5.1 through optical output:

This is the one I'm using right now and it works but I'm having to restart it a few times which is annoying, especially for my wife and kids -

http://jtechdigitalinc.store.rakuten...242768954.html

I have this on order in hopes it is more reliable -

http://octavainc.com/blog-hdmi-switch-extender/?p=432

Are you saying that both of these units which successfully redirect audio from HDMI sources to the optical out with 5.1 support (verified by me in the Sonos app) are somehow doing something illegal?
I've been using one of these to get around the lack of TV optical - works fine, passes the 5.1, no issues so far

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=110_225&products_id=6372
Note that the configuration below is after going into the Service Menu (used a Harmony remote and access password 0413) and changing EDID from PCM to AC3. I don't know if this is required as I changed this from the start.

Mfr: LG
Model: LM8600
Firmware: 04.34.02

How is audio passed from HDMI inputs to TOSLINK: PCM and 5.1
Are analog audio inputs passed through to TOSLINK? unknown
Is audio from IP streaming (if any) passed through as PCM stereo? Yes 5.1? No, DD2.0 [only tested built-in Plex client]
Can the TV's speakers be switched OFF? Yes
If switched OFF are there any annoying on screen messages when a TV IR volume command is received? Yes (workaround is to use different mfg signal for PlayBar controls)

• LG 55LX9500
  • Samsung PN43D490
  • Samsung UN55C6500VF
  • Sony 46EX400
  • Sony KDL32EX400
  • Sony KDL46EX400
  • Sony KDL55EX500
  • Vizio XVT3D554SV
  • Vizio E601i-A3

I added my 60" Vizio e601i-a3 to the list. I am sure the 70" version works the same. I had to go deep into audio settings to change optical out from PCM to Dolby Digital. But it does indeed work now.
Userlevel 2
For people who do not need optical audio input, this is quite good:
http://www.marmitek.com/en/product-details/audio-video-at-home/connect/multiple-av-devices/connect-421.php

Is ARC compatible, 5.1 passthru and has 1 optical output. You can connect 4 HDMI devices.
You would also need to make sure that the specifications of these listed sets are the same throughout different countries. I do know that Panasonic have different specs for their sets in the states than we have here in the UK and ours are different to the European ones too a lot of the time.
Userlevel 2
Sony 55" HX925 working fine - albeit with "TV Volume is fixed" message in the bottom right corner when changing volume with TV remote.
Sony 55" HX925 working fine - albeit with "TV Volume is fixed" message in the bottom right corner when changing volume with TV remote.

Can you re-program your Sony remote ? Does it has the flick switch between TV/CD/DVD etc so that the volume controls send out a different IR signal for the Playbar to learn, and the TV to ignore ?
Userlevel 2

Use some other brand of remote to learn into the Playbar. If you are using a cable remote, learn the commands from a receiver into the playbar that way the TV button still turns the TV, and set the punch through volume to the receiver. Works great with Time Warner remotes. If you are using a universal remote, set a device in your programming for a different brand of TV and label it Soundbar, then learn that into the playbar.

I have the playbar working on the LG 47LM6700, 55LM6700, 60LM7200, 55LV5500, 47LV5500, all with 5.1 with sources connected via HDMI from BluRays, Cable Boxes, and DirecTV.
I am using this HDMI switch with Optical out: Monoprice 4X1 HDMI Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) w/ 3D support

Note that it will also allow you to change to stereo from 5.1 in the event that you want to play a DTS film through the Playbar.
Userlevel 2
My Sharp 70" Aquos LC-70LE732U works flawlessly. The remote for my Bell satellite receiver synced automatically and the volume button controls the PlayBar sound level like it should. The best part of the whole set up is the great sound from the PlayBar. One of the best purchases that I have ever made.