Question

LG OLED BX + SONOS ARC + Apple TV 4K

• 14 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello everyone!

I hope someone can help me here!

I cannot get Dolby Atmos to work on the Apple TV 4K, all I get is silence. If I play non-Atmos content from the Apple TV, it works perfectly. Also, i get Atmos just fine if i use the TV’s built in Apps, same goes for my Sony 4K Blu-Ray player too, Atmos discs and app content works perfectly, which is always confirmed with the Atmos logo appearing in the Sonos S2 app on the Now Playing screen.  I am only met with silence when trying to play Atmos enabled content on Apple TV, this goes for movies purchased from iTunes and movies on other apps such as Vudu, Netflix and Disney Plus. Atmos just wont work on AppleTV for me.

LG OLED BX 65” (2020 4k tv)

Apple TV 4K

Sonos Arc 5.1

Sonos Arc connected to LG TV via eARC port

In the LG OLED TV Audio Menu:

eARC Toggle: On

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

HDMI Input Format: Bitstream

In the Apple TV Audio Menu:

Audio Output: HDMI

Audio Format: Auto, Atmos Available

Audio Mode: Auto

Immersive Audio: Dolby Atmos: On

Other Notes:

I am using brand new High Speed HDMI cables with 48gbps Bandwidth

Sonos Arc is connected to the eARC port using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc

Please Help! And thank you all in advance!

Owen

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi.  Bad news....   Apple TV 4K doesn’t work with Atmos and Sonos Arc at the moment.  Supposedly after Sonos releases an upcoming multichannel LPCM update it will work.   At the same time LG changed its recent firmware and so it doesn’t help with the Sonos Arc problem.  I also don’t get sound on the internal speaker if Atmos is enabled on the Apple TV 4K.    The internal LG apps like Apple TV+ and Netflix and Disney will play Atmos over the Sonos Arc, but we and many other like us have to wait on a Sonos update, which they said they confirmed in other posts they are working on.  There are multiple threads on this already with many upset people.  I have a 2020 LG 75 Nano and the Sonos arc which I purchased for the Atmos experience…  There is also a 3rd party releasing a solution in October i.e., HD Fury Arcana.  Anyway I just deactivated my Apple TV 4K and use the internal app until Sonos releases the update...not ideal but its a solid work around for now.

I am thinking of getting a LG OLED to have Atmos with Arc and I found this: 

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/apple/152798-apple-tv-app-now-natively-supports-dolby-atmos-on-lg-smart-tvs

Has anybody tried it to see if it works? What about Atmos /Dolby Digital Pluscontent on Prime, Netflix etc?