Question

LG E7 TV connection to a sonos connect

• 3 January 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a LG E7 TV with built in sound bar I have disconected the internal sound in the TV software and connected the optical out from the TV to my Sonos connect which is connected to my HiFi and works fine with the sonos music streaming system. Unfortunately i do not get any sound out when connected to the TV.why could this be ?is the outical port on the sonos connect an output rather than an input?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It does say "Digital Audio Out" underneath the optical port.
As an additional potential issue, the CONNECT does not have the ability to process a Dolby Digital signal, the max it can handle is stereo.
Many Thanks for your reply yes it does say optical out underneath the port however i read on the Sonos site that it was an Optical In port, so I thought it could be used as such.
So do you know how I can use my TV with Sonos?

Regards Les
Does that TV have analog out? If so, you could connect a set of RCA cables between the analog out on the TV to the Analog in on the CONNECT, and get stereo in that manner. Of course, you'd also get the ~70ms delay associated with an analog input in to the Sonos ecosystem, which might make lipsync an issue for you.

But that's kind of a hack, to really use Sonos as a TV speaker, you should look in to getting either a PLAYBASE or a PLAYBAR, both of which have that optical input you're looking for, no delay on the sound, and the ability to interpret both stereo and Dolby DIgital. You can then attach a SUB and a pair of Sonos speakers as surrounds when you can afford to, and get a really nice 5.1 system. One of the nice things about the Sonos setup is you can get them separately, and add them as you get them, you don't have to go "all-in" at one time.