Answered

Is the beam compatible with apple tv 2 generation?

• 2 November 2018
  • 9 replies

I made a decision to buy a sonos beam, but if i read the futher details i see that the beam onl works with the apple tv gen 4 ??
So is there anybody wo can tell me if the generation 2 apple tv also works?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 November 2018, 20:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

It should work just fine.

If I recall, on the Apple TV 2nd gen, you have both an HDMI and an optical output. You could feed the optical out directly to the Beam, but I'd recommend connecting the Apple TV via HDMI on your TV, and then the Beam to the HDMI-ARC port. That way, the Beam would play anything that your TV is playing, whether it's from the Apple TV or something else that is connected.
tnx for the answer. Then nothing remains me for buying one?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Just be aware that the 2nd gen is considered obsolete, and it is older hardware so if issues come up it won't be supported.
The OP won't be running the controller on it, since it doesn't work on Apple TV. It will still put out a Dolby Digital signal on HDMI. Hard to think it's near end of life. As far as I'm aware the first gen Apple TV still works. Doesn't run the latest OS, but it still works.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The 1st gen no longer has access to the iTunes store. It also cannot sync unless one reverts to an older version of iTunes. Providers are also starting to pull support for the 2nd gen. I get the fact that it's not running the controller, however it is still 8 year old hardware and issues are starting to creep up on users of that device so I was just making the OP aware.
I checked my apple tv, and i was wrong, it seems to be that i have a apple tv 3 gen. This shouldn’t be a problem also?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The 3rd Gen was discontinued but is not on obsolete status and is a little newer so it shouldn’t be a problem.
The key thing that you need is for the device to be able to provide your TV with a video and Dolby Digital signal via HDMI. All generations of the Apple TV can do this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I wasn’t referring to how it works with Sonos but rather the issues associated with that model Apple TV.