Answered

Is Sonos going to add support to Arc for more surrounds?

• 2 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Given the Arc’s support for Dolby Atmos and having added support for two subs I would like to know if Sonos is going to add support for more surround speakers to the app that could be used as either front surrounds or height surrounds. My room situation is such that my left and right walls are too far away from the Arc for sufficient bounce. I would really like to add an additional pair of front surrounds to fill that void.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 2 June 2021, 18:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

If Sonos were to add any more channels to the current maximum Arc setup of 5.2.2, it would most likely be adding an upfiring driver to a rear surround speaker like a Sonos One to create two more height channels for a 5.2.4 setup. I could also see them possibly allowing the option to add left and right side surround speakers for a 7.2.2. setup. The Arc already covers the center, front left, and front right channels.

A few points on this….

Sonos rarely will let you know what new products and features are coming in advance.  So don’t expect an answer to your question. 

Sonos staff has several questions to answer before expanding their home theatre offerings.  First, is there in a big enough market to justify development and possibly creation of new hardware?  Second, can they add additional wireless speakers in a home theatre room in a typical home (with potential wireless interference) and have it work reliably? Right now, there are 4 devices (4 with 2nd sub) in a room, and you’re talking about adding at least 2 more wireless devices that need to be in sync with very little time to buffer to avoid lip sync issues.

I am all 4 adding in more speakers, and would likely buy into whatever Sonos has to offer.  I’m just skeptical that it’s going to happen for various reasons.  

Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense. I would actually entertain either option (5.2.4 or 7.2.2). Hopefully WiFi won’t be the limiter here. After all, that’s their claim to fame.